Malt No Hulls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5mooth0perator

Reaction score
My local Korean grocery carries malt, it is twice as expensive as my LHBS, but it doesn't have hulls. I'm wondering, what percent weight are the hulls in malt?

Ideally, I don't have to drive two hours to the LHBS. For what it's worth they were out of two and six row last time and I had to buy pale malt, which was maybe 30% more in price. So, well yeah...:ban:

I'd do side by side comparison in a one gallon mash and check the gravity against each other. I'm gonna guess you need 50% or less of pure malt. I'd assume you're doing biab, no way you'll get away with a decent sparge with no hulls at all. Or would you need to. Maybe it would be like using DME.

I'd do side by side comparison in a one gallon mash and check the gravity against each other. I'm gonna guess you need 50% or less of pure malt. I'd assume you're doing biab, no way you'll get away with a decent sparge with no hulls at all. Or would you need to. Maybe it would be like using DME.

Yes, BIAB, that makes sense, I do gravity readings by taste, and when I used some in partial pure malt partial malt with hulls, it was noticeably sweeter, but pretty far from a true exbeeriment, since it was more of a kitchen sink recipe. I'm just doing all pure malt for the first time, if it doesn't sweeten up enough, I guess I could add some DME.

Without knowing more about the malt anything we might add is a total guess. It might not have hulls but it might take twice as much, not less, to achieve the same gravity. Or it could take much less?? Who knows? Going by taste is not going to tell you much. IMO. I would say you are going to have to experiment to find out what results you can expect.

Based on the (low) density of rice hulls, I'd guess that hulls are 10% or less of the mass of the grain.

Latest posts

Back