Malt Extract Trippel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awillis

Reaction score
I'm looking for a malt extract recipe that can provide the full body, creamy head, high alcohol and spices of a Trippel; any suggestions? TIA

This one is a favorite:
Karmeliet Tripel
8 oz. Belgian Aromatic Malt
4 oz. Flaked Oats
7¼ lbs. M&F Extra Light Dry Malt Extract
12 oz. Belgian Clear Candi Sugar
1 lb. M&F Wheat Dry Malt Extract
12 oz. Malto Dextrin
¾ oz. Challenger @ 7.2% AA (5.4 HBU) (bittering hop)
¼ oz. Styrian Goldings (flavor hop)
1 oz. Belgian Sweet Orange Peel
¼ tsp. Crushed Coriander Seeds
1 tsp. Irish Moss
¼ oz. Styrian Goldings (aroma hop)
¼ oz. Czech Saaz (aroma hop)
¼ tsp. Crushed Coriander Seeds
1 pkg. Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey Ale or
1 pkg. Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II
½ cup M&F Wheat Dry Malt Extract (priming)
½ cup Belgian Clear Candi Sugar (priming)
OG: 1.082 – 1.083
FG: 1.018 – 1.019
SRM: 6
IBU: 20
ABV: 8.1%
Method:
Heat ½ gallon of water to 155°F. Remove the pot from the heat and steep the specialty grains at 150°F for 30 minutes. Strain the water into the brew pot. Sparge the grains with ½ gallon of 150°F water. Bring the water to a boil, remove from the heat and add the Malt Extracts, Candi Sugar, Malto Dextrin, and bittering hop. Add water until the total volume in the brew pot is 3½ gallons. Boil for 45 minutes then add the flavor hop, Belgian Sweet Orange Peel, ¼ tsp. Crushed Coriander Seeds, and Irish Moss. Boil for 11 minutes and add the aroma hops and ¼ tsp. Crushed Coriander Seeds. Boil for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Strain the cooled wort into the primary fermenter and add cold water to obtain 5⅛ gallons. When the wort temperature is below 80°F, pitch the yeast. Ferment in the primary fermenter for 7 days or until fermentation slows, then siphon into the secondary fermenter and add dry hops. Prime the beer in the second stage with another dose of the same strain of fresh yeast 3 days before bottling. Bottle when fermentation is complete, target gravity is reached and beer has cleared (approximately 4 weeks) with priming Extract and Candi that has been boiled for 10 minutes in 2 cups of water. Let prime at 70°F for approximately 6 weeks until carbonated, then store at cellar temperature.

Good luck
Wild

Has anyone tried this recipe??? I have a variation in the primary right now and I'm just wondering what peoples' experiences are, given that it'll be a few months until I can actually consume any of it without a guilty conscience

Clone Brews has recipes for Westmalle Tripel, Petrus Tripel and Affligem Abbey Tripel. If anyone is interested in them let me know and I'll add them.

Marc.

I just racked this beer into my secondary, and it is looking mighty fine. I used the WYeast 1214, and battled fermentation temps in the mid-70s, which I think made it a little more estery than I would have expected. Quite a bit of the traditional :ban: and clove, but, I imagine that'll go down a bit during secondary and bottle conditioning. OG was 1.088, gravity post-primary was 1.023 or so. I gave it a quick taste when I racked it and it is already tasting really good. Not quite like Tripel Karmeliet, but we'll see how it conditions. I'm not planning on opening the first one until my birthday (Nov. 6), and I think I'll definately have something to look forward to and celebrate with.:cross:

This sounds like a recipe I would love to try, but I think there may be a typo, or my math has left me.

It says " Ferment in the primary fermenter for 7 days or until fermentation slows, then siphon into the secondary fermenter and add dry hops. Prime the beer in the second stage with another dose of the same strain of fresh yeast 3 days before bottling"

Then proceeds to say "Bottle when fermentation is complete, target gravity is reached and beer has cleared (approximately 4 weeks)"

Should that be "3 weeks" before bottling, instead of "3 days"? That would be ~4 weeks.

Or am I missing something?

ruppe said:
Should that be "3 weeks" before bottling, instead of "3 days"? That would be ~4 weeks.

Or am I missing something?
No, you read correctly. Adding a little more yeast 3 days before bottling ensures there is enough strong healthy yeast to do the work needed for the bottle conditioning.

Good luck,
Wild

OK. I reread, and read too much into it. So, what is "a little more yeast"? Another smack pack? Or shold I reserve some from before? If so, how so?

These are pretty big beers and need a large starter to help them off. After stepping up your starter to ½ to ¾ gallon, just draw off a pint (per 5 gallons) before pitching and refrigerate until you're ready to add before bottling/kegging. This way you're using the same strain.

Good luck,
Wild

Back