Malt differences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfondell

Reaction score
Is their a big difference between 2 Row and extra pale 2 Row? I’m looking at brewing a Citra IPA.

thanks

Probably not a big difference other than color... they should both have similar extract potential.

There have been some weird experiences specifically with Viking extra pale. That brand of extra pale has some weird effects.

Otherwise agreed, the hop flavor covers up a lot of stuff.
I’ve been using Viking Xtra Pale quite a bit for the last 6 months, or so. I haven’t noticed any “weird effects”. Care to elaborate?

I’ve been using Viking Xtra Pale quite a bit for the last 6 months, or so. I haven’t noticed any “weird effects”. Care to elaborate?

I've had one or two cases where it was much darker than it should have been. Pretty sure it wasn't my technique. Also the taste just isn't as present. I suspect there might be some batch to batch variations; and I'm continually suspicious about how old the Viking malts by the time I receive them. I have only suspicions. :cool:

Last edited:
There have been some weird experience specifically with Viking extra pale. That brand of extra pale has some weird effects.
IIRC, A few years ago, I heard some homebrewers complain about high protein, and/or high kettle trub. Is that what you're referring to?

Here’s a pic of a bag of Xtra Pale next to a bag of Viking Pilsner. The Xtra pale is labeled as 1.7-1.9 L. The Pils as 1.7-2.2 L. To my eye, the Pils appears a bit darker. As a grain farmer, I’m not too worried about age. I know how old the “fresh” malt y’all are buying might actually be. :cool:
74C2F6AF-C315-4897-9A9F-AF625F3B66E5.jpeg

As a grain farmer, I’m not too worried about age. I know how old the “fresh” malt y’all are buying might actually be. :cool:
When I was a kid in the very early 80’s, my dad signed up for a government warehouse program and we stored a butt load of wheat in a huge bunker he built inside our large machinery shed (Morton Building) that was built that same year. He got paid to store it and it was there for 10 years before it was shipped back to the elevator. The payment he received is what paid for the bulk of that building back then.
I know exactly what you’re talking about in regards to grain storage and I enjoy reading the threads where folks are worried about their grains being a few months + old.
:off:

IIRC, A few years ago, I heard some homebrewers complain about high protein, and/or high kettle trub. Is that what you're referring to?
I think the maltster was using a mix of 2-row and 6-row. Might have been to achieve consistent friability? I only used Viking once and don't exactly remember.

When I was a kid in the very early 80’s, my dad signed up for a government warehouse program and we stored a butt load of wheat in a huge bunker he built inside our large machinery shed (Morton Building) that was built that same year. He got paid to store it and it was there for 10 years before it was shipped back to the elevator. The payment he received is what paid for the bulk of that building back then.
I know exactly what you’re talking about in regards to grain storage and I enjoy reading the threads where folks are worried about their grains being a few months + old.
:off:
Right! I would have customers ask in the store "how old is the grain" Mind you we sold several thousand pounds a month. I would be like. Its been here in the shop for a month (or whatever) I have had people ask. Anyway to get "FRESH" grain. Ha Ha Ha Yeah..... Grow it... LOL

Sure do miss having that store!

Cheers
Jay

Back