Malo-lactic Culture for Chardonnay Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adiochiro3

Reaction score
So I apparently missed the best window -- right after vigorous fermentation -- for adding malo-lactic culture to my Chardonnay wine. I began fermentation on 9-14-13. Should I add the culture now, or just rack to secondary and keep going without?

So I apparently missed the best window -- right after vigorous fermentation -- for adding malo-lactic culture to my Chardonnay wine. I began fermentation on 9-14-13. Should I add the culture now, or just rack to secondary and keep going without?

As long as the sulfite level is low (you didn't add any since pressing), you can add the MLF culture now.

As long as the sulfite level is low (you didn't add any since pressing), you can add the MLF culture now.

Thanks, Yooper! I had a feeling you would be one to answer my question. I have not added any sulfite since pressing.

The wine is still in the primary; should I just add it to that or add it as I rack to a secondary? If I add to the primary, should I stir up the yeast cake as some instructions suggest or leave it be?

Leave the wine in the primary, it will use the lees as a nutrient. Do yourself a favor and buy a good MLB such as bacchus or if your budget permits lalvin 31

Leave the wine in the primary, it will use the lees as a nutrient. Do yourself a favor and buy a good MLB such as bacchus or if your budget permits lalvin 31

Thanks for the help. I picked up some lalvin 31 this afternoon and will pitch it tonight. Should I stir up the yeast cake, or leave it be?

Back