making wine again after 7 years!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmdakota1

Reaction score
ok, so i got the itch to get back into it after an overwhelming batch of home grown strawberries. last time i brewed i didn't know that much about it and didn't sanitize any of my stuff. this time around i'm really focusing on cleaning and sanitizing. using easy clean and star san. i pitched my yeast last night and 17 hours later no signs of fermenting. guy at wine shop said i didn't have to wait for surfaces to dry after star san. when i put the must in the fermenter there was still foam from star san, hydrometer and tube still wet as well. i sanitized the bowl i rehydrated the yeast in and did not let that dry as well. immediately after i did it i wondered if i ruined my yeast because it was still wet, unfortunately i had already dumped it into the primary. temp of must is about 68-69 degrees, i've moved it to a warmer location, might put heating pad under it for 15-20 minutes to bring temp up slightly. should i try to make more yeast and add after 24 hours, won't all that yeast iin there make a bad taste? could someone help me. not a real great way to get back into it!! thanks a lot!

What yeast did you use?

Did you take a hydrometer reading before and 17 hours after? Also did you start it in a carboy or a food grade pail?

The starsan shouldn't be an issue. Its not unheard of for ferments to take a few days to get going so I wouldnt panic yet. Did you aerate the must? If not give it a good stirring/shaking to get some oxygen in there. Otherwise give it another day and see if its started up.

it's fermenting now. gave it a good stir this morning. I used cote yeast in food grade pail. also another question. i want to filter my wines this time around but don't want to spend a fortune for such little batches. i saw that one that basically looks like a garden sprayer with a filter attached to it. i'm no expert but isn't that doing exactly what you don't want to do, and that is put air into your wine? i'm assuming you rack your wine into that sprayer, pump it up, and filter right into your bottles. glad the star san isn't an issue. do i need to keep that in an air tight container? right now i have a large rubbermaid bin that i bathe equipment in and it has a lid but it's not airtight. man does my strawberry must smell good but there sure was a lot of pulp in there. i hope it all falls out and settles.

Back