Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, thanks Newsman.

General question for anyone on this thread: I've read that some have beaten the yeast balls down for use in the rice wine. I assume some are using a hammer. Being that these little beasties are a living organism, aren't you crushing and killing a portion of them?

Just a thought,

They are microscopic. There are literally millions in there. You can grind, pound, smash etc. and still have plenty of viable cells to ferment with with no worries.

The rice yeast balls include the fungal saccharifiers. No additional enzymes required. And for the record I have cultured my yeast balls on media and they contain Rhizopus oryzae for saccharification. They aren't "just yeast".

Agreed, one poster showed me what the yeast balls are made of and I agree. They are fully self sufficient to complete the task.

Just ordered everything to make Rice Wine.

10lbs Fragrant Jasmine Rice
3 packs Yeast Balls
1 pack RYR

Initially I plan to make 2 side by side batches one with RYR and one without, I have 2 small ale pales which from memory are 2 gallons or so each so will use those.

Having read a whole butt load of this thread, seems SonOfGroks original recipe is the one to go for and the RYR recipe follows a couple pages later, I can't remember the ladies name apologies.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just ordered everything to make Rice Wine.

10lbs Fragrant Jasmine Rice
3 packs Yeast Balls
1 pack RYR

Initially I plan to make 2 side by side batches one with RYR and one without, I have 2 small ale pales which from memory are 2 gallons or so each so will use those.

Having read a whole butt load of this thread, seems SonOfGroks original recipe is the one to go for and the RYR recipe follows a couple pages later, I can't remember the ladies name apologies.

Awesome! The original recipe listed by Sonofgrok is the very same one I still use. It doesn't disappoint ever.

The RYR posted by saramc is also great.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Awesome! The original recipe listed by Sonofgrok is the very same one I still use. It doesn't disappoint ever.

The RYR posted by saramc is also great.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

That's what I'm aiming for! I plumped for cheap ass shipping, so will start this next weekend most likely. Looking forwards to trying it, the simplicity appeals to me.

461 pages... this is insane Sonofgrok and Sarahmc...you two know how to throw a party!!
I got hooked on "RW" this summer by a friend who brews traditional beers, and had a batch in his fridge he had no intention to finish. Anyway I am on my third learning batch ( the first was AWESOMESAUCE!
I stumbled onto this thread and started reading it from page one...I dont think I have the fortitude to make it through to 461. So I will risk asking an already answerd question. What was the final cup ratio for a five gallon jar (using a big mouth bubbler)? I have one going, but it seems I underestimated the amount.and only put in a 22 cup (rice cooker, cooked) batch. Looks like I might get a gallon out of it.
My next five gal will be with the Chinese yeast balls, as I have been using the Vietnamese ones, and a 15lb bag of Nashiki medium grain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Home Brew mobile app

3 months old and still tasty. Next baych soon

1412825052625.jpg

I'm finally licking the harvesting madness and had myself a think.

I have a large glass jar that I have a batch fermenting in, inside a paint filtration bag, and I find that between the fine mesh of the bag, and the filtration of the liquid passing through the rice itself, that I end up with a pretty clear product pooling around the bottom.

So I'm thinking that I can lick the harvesting frustrations I've been having, once and for all.

What's the downside I'm not seeing in the following strategy:

Start with a plastic pail fermenter with a spigot on the bottom/side.

Insert a paint filtration bag (I love these things for this stuff) and put your rice/yeast ball mix in there.

Every couple weeks, just open the valve into a secondary until yield falls off.

Sure, maybe the valve will gum up after a while. But that seems a small price to pay to avoid the godawful messes I've been fiddly farting with for the last few months.

Has anyone ever over filled their fermentation jars? I was in a rush and filled my jars to the top. I noticed the cheese cloths were wet the next day and smelled like stale rice. Some moisture must have collected on the cloths and dripped because around the base of the jars is white fuzzy mold!

Have a batch about a week old, and I guess I didn't cover fast enough or firmly enough and I see a few tiny fruit flies in the jar...
Do I leave them be, open it and kick them out, or dump and start over?
2-cups rice size, so if I have to say goodbye it won't be hard to do.

Have a batch about a week old, and I guess I didn't cover fast enough or firmly enough and I see a few tiny fruit flies in the jar...
Do I leave them be, open it and kick them out, or dump and start over?
2-cups rice size, so if I have to say goodbye it won't be hard to do.

I'd dump it

Has anyone ever over filled their fermentation jars? I was in a rush and filled my jars to the top. I noticed the cheese cloths were wet the next day and smelled like stale rice. Some moisture must have collected on the cloths and dripped because around the base of the jars is white fuzzy mold!

I've done that before. After the rice compacts a bit, I sanitized the cheesecloth and just put it back on. Worked out ok for me. I have never seen any mold on the outside of the jar before though.

I don't bother with the cheesecloth any more, eliminates that issue, leave the lid loose and no issues with who knows how many batches.

I've done that before. After the rice compacts a bit, I sanitized the cheesecloth and just put it back on. Worked out ok for me. I have never seen any mold on the outside of the jar before though.

It looks like the level had dropped now, I think I'll just leave the cheese cloth because it's not touching any of the rice or liquid.

I bought so much cheese cloth for venting and straining, so I'll just keep using it. Although, I don't use it for straining anymore, I use a nut milk bag, it works much better

3 days in on a small tester batch, the rice has already reduced in size by a third and plenty of liquid/bubbles. Need to fine tune my rice cooking for a bigger batch, only ever cooked brown basmati before and the white jasmine really threw me a curve ball.

View attachment 229671

If you're looking for a super easy rice cooking method (regardless of the kind of rice), I rinse the rice to get the starch out, add to water (2:1), cover, bring to boil, take it off the heat, and let it sit for as long as you can stand.

Rice was tricky for me too but I've not had a bad experience since trying this.

If you're looking for a super easy rice cooking method (regardless of the kind of rice), I rinse the rice to get the starch out, add to water (2:1), cover, bring to boil, take it off the heat, and let it sit for as long as you can stand.

Exactly how I cook (and cool) my rice. Works every time. Nice Post Cheesy_Goodness!

Thanks Cheesy. I rinsed, then boiled for ten minutes then let it stand but it was wayyyy cooked. I will follow your directions next time, seem a lot more sensible.

Four minute commercials are the norm in Korea?

I'm not sure as I'm from Kansas City but I think it was a film school project over there.

Edit: finally caught up this entire thread. Wow it's gigantic! Thank you all for the great info. I'll be ordering yeast balls from Jak1010 as soon as payday happens. Super excited. If my first batch works well I'm assembling a kit for my cousin for Christmas. He's a farmer and this is often called farmers wine so i find it fitting. Thanks again all! Great thread.

Nogud247 -- not sure. I don't see why not, but then again, I don't see where it's listed as a "food safe" plastic. OTOH, I believe it's made to be used to hold foodstuffs, so again, I don't see why not. :)

Nogud247 -- not sure. I don't see why not, but then again, I don't see where it's listed as a "food safe" plastic. OTOH, I believe it's made to be used to hold foodstuffs, so again, I don't see why not. :)

I found it in the canning/cereal container aisle so I hope it'll work. If not it was $3 so I'll find something else.

I found it in the canning/cereal container aisle so I hope it'll work. If not it was $3 so I'll find something else.

I say go for it.. It's not likely it'll kill you (at least not immediately. :D ) I'd say make a batch, and if it tastes off, dump it (or let it turn to vinegar) and use glass. :)
I initially picked up a glass cookie jar, but it's a pain in the rear to use, so after one use, I picked up a 2-gallon plastic drink dispenser with tap. I'll probably run some Star San through it after each use, just to help with the sanitation.

I say go for it.. It's not likely it'll kill you (at least not immediately. :D ) I'd say make a batch, and if it tastes off, dump it (or let it turn to vinegar) and use glass. :)
I initially picked up a glass cookie jar, but it's a pain in the rear to use, so after one use, I picked up a 2-gallon plastic drink dispenser with tap. I'll probably run some Star San through it after each use, just to help with the sanitation.

That plastic container isn't a bad idea. I'm getting tired of cleaning the rust off of the metal lid.

That plastic container isn't a bad idea. I'm getting tired of cleaning the rust off of the metal lid.

Better bottles are PET so I think it will be alright. When this works I can easily get a few more just for this reason so I always have some ready. Thats my thinking on the matter anyhow, we will see how it all goes. :mug:

Back