Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quasi-failed experiment: As a goof I put half a pint of blueberries in a '2 cups of jasmine rice' batch, right at the beginning. It sure came out pretty. Just tasted it yesterday. Meh. Couldn't taste the difference at all.

I'm going to try a full pint next. And, unlike the goofball that did the first test I'll take pictures this time. :p

I love your ambitious brewing style. Some are afraid to experiment and they follow any recipe exactly. Not you! :thumbup:

Quasi-failed experiment: As a goof I put half a pint of blueberries in a '2 cups of jasmine rice' batch, right at the beginning. It sure came out pretty. Just tasted it yesterday. Meh. Couldn't taste the difference at all.

I'm going to try a full pint next. And, unlike the goofball that did the first test I'll take pictures this time. :p

Blueberries are tough. Hard to get them to impart much flavor.

You might also try adding them after harvesting if you want the flavor. Basically simulating adding them in secondary.

Do I understand it tht these yeast balls break down the starches of the rice into fermentables? If so I might try an experiment fermenting the actual potato slices when I redo my potato wine.... Any idea if it would work?

Do I understand it tht these yeast balls break down the starches of the rice into fermentables? If so I might try an experiment fermenting the actual potato slices when I redo my potato wine.... Any idea if it would work?

I'm pretty sure someone tried the same thing somewhere along the line in this thread. Can't remember how it turned out tho. Want to say it was sweet potatoes.

What is your recipe for potato wine otherwise?

I'd be very interested to hear how it comes out. Also, any notes about the original you'd care to share would be much appreciated :)

And to answer your question: Yes. :)

I love your ambitious brewing style. Some are afraid to experiment and they follow any recipe exactly. Not you! :thumbup:

You should see a picture of the rack of experiments. It's... goofy.

I end up with some bogeys, for sure. But the hit ratio is high enough that I'm going to keep hammering at this. The blueberry/lemon/mint mead is interesting. But I may have overdone the mint. We'll see. I may double the batch into a secondary and rebalance the flavors.

This stuff is cheap, relatively speaking, and the girls in the office love being tested upon. So it's win/win for a single 45 year old guy :p

Blueberries are tough. Hard to get them to impart much flavor.

It's funny. From the look of them and the way they leech color, I thought the flavor would absolutely dominate.

You might also try adding them after harvesting if you want the flavor. Basically simulating adding them in secondary.

Hmm... I like that idea. The other thing I was considering is boiling them down to a syrup and adding that, either in secondary or primary (though how that would affect fermentation I'm not sure.)

The potato wine recipe is in the Wine recipe forum (not my recipe) but I think I will try and develop one using my Korean tablets. Maybe sweet potatoes too if the ones my gf planted beat the frost.

I'm pretty sure someone tried the same thing somewhere along the line in this thread. Can't remember how it turned out tho. Want to say it was sweet potatoes.

What is your recipe for potato wine otherwise?

I think it didn't work out for the last person who tried it

Oops I meant to post some text with those pics!
So the red cookie jar is one week in. It is 4 cups medium grain local Louisiana rice. I forget the brand name. And 2 cups botan calrose rice. Cooked stovetop unrinsed, with 2 juqui. After a few days the jar gave off a nice sweet floral scent and after a week it is giving off the same smell but very boozy. The temp inside my home is ~ 75 degrees avg.
I've been reading this thread a lot before and since I started this and decided to try the red mill cereal packet. It has wheat, rye, oats, barley, oat bran, flax, and one other I can't remember the name for. The whole packet came to be right at 5 cups dry. I figured since it was ground so small I would need something to separate it so I decided to cook up the last 2 cups of calrose to mix in with it. Also I had some 2 row malted barley lying around. I decided to ,after the cereal finished cooking, add the malted barley. With the temp of the cereal at 150* F I added 1/2 c. Mixed it very well and left it covered in the pot for 30 mins. Spread the rice and cereal out together to cool and sprinkled 2 juqui over the top. Flipped, sprinkled, flipped ,sprinked, etc. Finally added it all to a gallon pickle jar wrapped it up and put in the closet. The pic you see there is the very next morning. About 8 hours later!
I'm sure someone has done this already but I figured I would show you guys and keep you posted, so you can see how this turns out along with me:)
Also thanks to sonofgrok for inspiring me. And everyone else who has replied to the thread.
Cheers!

I took this photo yesterday. I will be harvesting Saturday. Hopefully this turns out somewhat enjoyable.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410469952.968440.jpg

Most definitely it is fermenting. I haven't pulled a sample since it started separating however. It certainly smells like booze;)

I took this photo yesterday. I will be harvesting Saturday. Hopefully this turns out somewhat enjoyable.
View attachment 223376

If this turns out to be good, you'll have to name it!

I can't wait to hear how it tastes. In all honesty, it looks terrible. But, I've tasted some amazing food and (drinks) that look terrible but taste great. Please follow up with us on this one.

Finally got around to putting this together and settled on the Ceramic Crock, I've got a bit less than a gallon of rice (that's a guess). I used 8 yeast balls and mashed them all together.

Since I've only got a (secured) cheese cloth on top, should I be concerned about headspace with this? If it's a concern I do have a big plastic bowl with a lid I could use instead of a crock. I literally just finished working the yeast in so I've got some time before fermentation really gets anywhere.

I think I managed to mess this up. The first few days after I got everything together it had some white spores on the top, which I believe is normal. Now, it smells off and has some green areas of mold on top.
I'm assuming green cultures = experiment over...take what liquid I can and move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I managed to mess this up. The first few days after I got everything together it had some white spores on the top, which I believe is normal. Now, it smells off and has some green areas of mold on top.
I'm assuming green cultures = experiment over...take what liquid I can and move on.

I've never had green mold before, but if you have another jar, I'd say let it go for the full ferment for experimental purposes

Two weeks in to my first succeccful batch of rice wine. Used black rice first time. Lots of liquid and smells like the the stuff my great gramdpappy used to run off in the hills of North Carolina.

Final gravity, but what was the original gravity of cooked rice?

Lab analysis is about the only way to get an accurate measurement of alcohol content. Somebody has previously posted about using a vinometer, but they are very inaccurate.

A vinometer would have to be more accurate than a guess by the taste, smell, and buzz the liquor imparts. Just sayin'.

Is long grain rice usable when making this? I have a 5-pound bag, but I'm worried the starch content may be too low?

Is long grain rice usable when making this? I have a 5-pound bag, but I'm worried the starch content may be too low?

It won't be great but it won't be terrible. I'd suggest eating the long grain and getting yourself a bag of Thai Jasmine rice. Or maybe do a batch of each. Maybe you'll find a preference. Take notes, pics and keep coming here. :D

OK, thanks. I'll likely just brew this batch and hope that it wont be too terrible, and next time I'll buy some sweet, short grain rice. Will the ABV be severely affected by the long grain rice? Also, how many yeast balls should I use for the whole 5-pound bag? Will 4 do it or do I need more? I've made beer, wine, cider and mead before, but I'm new to the whole sake brewing process.

Just wanted to poke my head in and say that Bentonite is awesome with this stuff.

Bringing 5 bottles to a friend's wedding in Indiana this week. Hopefully it'll go over well.

OK, thanks. I'll likely just brew this batch and hope that it wont be too terrible, and next time I'll buy some sweet, short grain rice. Will the ABV be severely affected by the long grain rice? Also, how many yeast balls should I use for the whole 5-pound bag? Will 4 do it or do I need more? I've made beer, wine, cider and mead before, but I'm new to the whole sake brewing process.

I've brewed batches with Thai Jasmine, with short grain sweet rice, Homai calrose rice, and mixtures of them and noticed minimal to no differences in flavor. Might as well give it a shot and see how the long grain turns out with a test batch. Maybe, but I doubt it will be a lot different.

I've brewed batches with Thai Jasmine, with short grain sweet rice, Homai calrose rice, and mixtures of them and noticed minimal to no differences in flavor. Might as well give it a shot and see how the long grain turns out with a test batch. Maybe, but I doubt it will be a lot different.

Other people have posted much less luck than you have had with the long grain. It doesn't hurt to give it a shot but i wouldn't give up on rice wine if it didn't turn out great.

I went ahead and took you guys advice and ordered 5-pounds of short grain rice from Amazon. I may have paid a little too much, as it was 15 bucks and change for the 5-pound bag with shipping, but I couldn't find any locally. There aren't any Asian markets within a reasonable distance and all they have in the grocery stores around here is long grain white rice and small boxes of brown rice (14 oz). The yeast balls are on their way too, so can anybody tell me how many I'll need for the whole 5-pound batch? Also, is there anything I should watch out for? I'm kind of nervous working with mold, as I don't wanna risk getting sick.

I went ahead and took you guys advice and ordered 5-pounds of short grain rice from Amazon. I may have paid a little too much, as it was 15 bucks and change for the 5-pound bag with shipping, but I couldn't find any locally. There aren't any Asian markets within a reasonable distance and all they have in the grocery stores around here is long grain white rice and small boxes of brown rice (14 oz). The yeast balls are on their way too, so can anybody tell me how many I'll need for the whole 5-pound batch? Also, is there anything I should watch out for? I'm kind of nervous working with mold, as I don't wanna risk getting sick.

Very nice. I remember right, a 5lb bag is probably about 6-7 cups of rice. I'd say 3 or 4 yeast balls will work. If anything, measure the rice in dry cups. I usually put 2-3 crushed balls per every 4-5 cups of dry rice.

As for what to watch out for, the first thing that comes to mind is anything with color. If you get green or other dark colors, that's something to be worried about. The most common good mold is white, off white and sometimes in the Grey shade.

Either way, post pics and let us know your experience.

A while back I asked how long it would take for this to turn to vinegar as I'd missed the harvest date. Unfortunately, the thread went another direction and my question got buried. I let it go to day 56 and harvested tonight. I was expecting and at this point hoping for vinegar. Instead it smells and tastes sweet and just like my prior batches. Why did it not turn? It had cheese cloth lid so air could have gotten it. I believe I could add some cider vinegar to force it to turn but I'm not sure this is true and since it tastes good I guess it would be a waste.

Just wanted to poke my head in and say that Bentonite is awesome with this stuff.

Thanks.
Many of us may not be experienced brewers. At what stage do you add it?

I have heard many add it at the beginning of the wine making process and others seem to add it at the end.

I've also read that it can take away some of the flavor and color if overdone?

A while back I asked how long it would take for this to turn to vinegar as I'd missed the harvest date. Unfortunately, the thread went another direction and my question got buried. I let it go to day 56 and harvested tonight. I was expecting and at this point hoping for vinegar. Instead it smells and tastes sweet and just like my prior batches. Why did it not turn? It had cheese cloth lid so air could have gotten it. I believe I could add some cider vinegar to force it to turn but I'm not sure this is true and since it tastes good I guess it would be a waste.

Pure conjecture but I can think of a few possibilities. Not enough air exposure, too sterile, high enough alcohol it killed any beasties. A manual introduction of acetobacter would help.

I brewed 6 gallons using a 25 lb bag. However, I included a 1/2 lb of 2-row since rice starches need the enzymes to convert to sugar. In your recipe, you should include enzymes, which you can buy at the homebrew shop. It will give you much more wine and clear it up better. I also clarified the wine and it is a clear yellow.

I am in the process of fractional freezing. If anyone tries this, take out the syrup that sits on top, or bottom of the ice. The rice wine will come out dry this way. Keep the sugar syrup so that you can add back a little if you want to sweeten it up a bit. I've already tried fractional freezing on Apple Cider and Beer. Both are fantastic.

Cheers,

Back