making rice flour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a dme blond I like to brew and have purchased rice syrup solids but its kind of high and for the same recipe in all grain I normally use flaked rice but I ran out and I got board on a rainy week here and decided to put rice in my coffee grinder, I made rice flour 5 pounds of it, just curios would I still need to mash it or can I use it like DME

You will need to mash it. You will probably need to cook it first (cereal mash) and then mash it.

My next beer will have rice in it, and I bought a bag of broken jasmine rice from the Asian market. I plan to simmer it for a half hour before adding it (and any cooking water that's left) to the mash.

If you add flour to the boil kettle, you are making gravy instead of beer. Seriously, that's not gonna work. I've added wheat flour to the mash kettle before and it kind-of worked. I don't know what temperature rice starch gels at.

I meant to simmer or mash before the boil

The rice (kernels), flakes, or coarse flour, need to be boiled or cereal mashed before adding to the mash. The gelatinization temp of rice is 154-172F.

There's little advantage of grinding them first, just boil the rice grains in 4-10 times its volume in water. The amount of water is not critical, as long as it doesn't become too thick. The more water they absorb, the faster they'll mash. After about 40' boil, use the thin rice porridge as your strike water for the mash.

I do the same for flaked corn and it works perfectly. Great conversion and mash efficiency.

I don't think flaked rice [or corn or oats] need further processing prior to a conventional mash.
They were cooked/gelatinized before squishing/drying so the guts are already exposed and ready to go...

Cheers!

Right, and that needs to be cooked before adding to a mash with sufficient diastatic power to convert the rice starches...

Cheers!

Back