Making Pabst Blue Ribbon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pabst is my beer of choice. Major difference I can taste between Pabst and BMC is that Pabst taste's like beer and the rest taste like water and piss. The only others I really go for are either Rainer or Olympia.

Ahhh, Pabst. The first brand I drank with any regularity, starting with 9 oz. glasses of it for $.25 each at the Plaza Tap Room in Asheville in 1968. Cold in a bottle, it's still not bad, but about the cheapest thing I drink nowadays is Yuengling Lager. At least it has some flavor.

Pitman Graphics
www.pitmangraphics.com

At first I thought this thread was going to go way off base but as I read on those who really like beer do know and understand the different tastes of beers and those who drink them. kudos to you all for not throwing him under the bus for brewing a beer that we may not like but so be it were here to brew right:mug:

I wanna go back in time and meet the judge that awarded Pabst the blue ribbon. I imagine he was sampling beer in the sun all day and was pretty hammered by the time he was presented with that pint of PBR.

"Oh man! *hic* Thish shtuff is GREAT!! *hic* We have a winner!!"

If Bud, Miller, and Coors are plain old horse piss, Pabst is what I imagine unicorn piss must taste like.

Sorry, had to bump this thread just to point out the awesomeness that is this quote. A tip of the hat to you sir.

I'm also brewing a Pabst'ish beer right now.

Thanks for the bump! I missed that quote way back when. I have to admit the awesomeness is pretty thorough!

Try this:

3lbs 6 row
2lbs Flaked corn
2lbs flaked rice
1oz Cluster @60
Neutral American Lager Yeast.

I get a laugh from people who constantly slag BMC type beers.

Watery American beers don't taste bad, the problem is they don't taste like much of anything! They're very light on taste but it's not like they're completely disgusting. If someone hands me a PBR I'll drink it.

Now fortified malt liqueurs, there's some nasty stuff.

Hard to drink Pbr when you can go to a bar and see this.

ForumRunner_20120311_163933.jpg

I'm kinda upset after reading all these posts. I love my home brews those of my friends. I think they are some of the best beers I have ever tasted. But Pabst, Old Style, Old Milwaukee, High Life, Schlitz.......these are the beers of my home state (WI) and are the beers that I "grew" up on. These are the beers that introduced me to the world of beer. Do I drink them all the time? Well no. But I think they deserve some respect. Tonight I didn't have any home brew that was ready to drink. So I went to the grocery store and looked for an old stand bye. And I'm proud to say I'm drinking a PBR as I write this. So Please have a little respect for the beers that have helped given me a love for beer. I love all beer especially the home brew, but show a little respect for all those good old beers.

mwesle said:
i'm kinda upset after reading all these posts. I love my home brews those of my friends. I think they are some of the best beers i have ever tasted. But pabst, old style, old milwaukee, high life, schlitz.......these are the beers of my home state (wi) and are the beers that i "grew" up on. These are the beers that introduced me to the world of beer. Do i drink them all the time? Well no. But i think they deserve some respect. Tonight i didn't have any home brew that was ready to drink. So i went to the grocery store and looked for an old stand bye. And i'm proud to say i'm drinking a pbr as i write this. So please have a little respect for the beers that have helped given me a love for beer. I love all beer especially the home brew, but show a little respect for all those good old beers.

+1

I love drinking pbr at concerts, especially if I'm dancing a lot. Hits the spot every time! Had 3 last night :mug:

I'd agree with others posting that out of the BMCP beers, PBR has the best taste.
Whenever I'm out of homebrew, I turn to PBR to tide me over till the next batch. Sure, my homebrews are way, way better in almost all cases, but every now and then we all run out unexpectedly.
If I had to choose between Bud, Miller, Coors, or Pabst..... I'd take the Pabst every time.

love quality beer... well-made homebrew, Deschutes, Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, Ninkasi, and PB f-ing R! There is a time and place for a good, ice-cold, light tasting beer... after a round of golf on a 90 degree day... fishing... around the campfire on a hot summer night... watching a minor league ball game on a warm evening... always would rather sip a nice stout or porter but there are times when a PBR dead-bulls-eye on...

Cheesefood said:
Some two-row and some rice solids. As for hops, show the wort a picture of Hallertau for about 20 seconds. Then lager.

Best reply ever....

"If Bud, Miller, and Coors are plain old horse piss, Pabst is what I imagine unicorn piss must taste like."

that's poetry

Thread revival. I think the key is literal triple hopping - additions at 60, 15, and 0. That gives it a full rounded flavor.

Ha! After all these years and many strange brews, my coworker and I won second place for our American Light Lager. We have brewed it four times since and it is always the most popular beer we make. A local brewery is having us join them for a brew and using the recipe to make a beer for SF Beer Week events. I have 20 gallons in the tank right now and I decided to make 10 gallons of an extract version, as well. The old me would have turned his nose at the new me.

I wouldn't say that making light lagers is really more "difficult", but it will show any flaw in your system and it does take a lot longer to properly ferment. Your pitch rate needs to be high and you need temperature control, but as long as you follow certain guidelines, you can make great beer.

It takes us about 2 months to make, and then you have to drink it FAST! I'd imagine most BMC would taste pretty good when it's really fresh; it just loses a lot with transport, temperature and time.

Sure!

20 Gallon All-grain (75% Efficiency - 1.036 - 9 IBU):

20 lbs Belgian Pilsner
4.5 lbs Rice (cereal mashed - I use Kokohu because it's cheap and tasty)
2.25 lbs Pre-gelatinized Flaked Maize

90 min - 0.55 oz Styrian Aurora 8.5% AA (~5 IBU)
15 min - 0.75 oz Styrian Aurora 8.5% AA (~4 IBU)
You can really use any noble hops. Tettnanger is probably my favorite, but the AA% has been far too low for bittering lately.

WLP800 Pilsner Lager Yeast (Step up a starter to over 1000 billion cells)

5.5 gallon Extract (1.039 - 9 IBU):

4 lbs Briess Dry Pilsner Malt Extract
1 lbs Dry Rice Solids

Partial Boil at 3.5 gallons. For a full boil, reduce 90 minute hops by 25-30%

90 min - 1.5 oz Hersbrucker 1.5% AA (7.5 IBU)
15 min - 0.5 oz Hersbrucker 1.5% AA (1.5 IBU)

WLP800 Pilsner Lager Yeast (3 vials or an appropriate starter)
or WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast blend for a "pseudo-lager" without temp control (1 vial)

I always use the appropriate amount of Whirlfloc and Yeast Nutrient at 15 minutes.

Process for fermenting a low alcohol lager:
Ferment 2 weeks at 52°F
Let rise to 65°F For 1 week
Crash cool at 38°F for several days
Rack to secondary
Let rise to 65°F for 1 week
Crash cool at 38°F for 3 weeks

The rule for a lager, is it needs to be aged for several months, including fermentation, but then you need to drink quick! Several weeks in the bottle it's perfect, then it starts to fall off.

If you are using the Cream Ale Yeast Blend, you can ferment in the low to mid 60s (I prefer around 58-62°F) until fermentation starts to slow, then raise to the high 60S (68°F) for about a week. Leave it in the primary a total of about 4 weeks, to ensure all the sulfur has driven off (for single stage, or rack to secondary after 3 weeks for lagering.) Crash cool and keg or go straight to bottles.

:mug:

I've made a few different variations on this...the first (that won the award) was with all corn and Tettnanger hops. The second was my favorite...it was 100% rice for the adjunct. It tasted more like a Japanese Rice Lager than a true Lite American Lager, though, so we split the corn and rice for the last two batches to make it distinctly 'Merica!

Back