Making my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossscottnz

Learner brewer running amok
Reaction score
Just bought a scoby from an experienced kombucha maker and currently steeping some green tea before adding the scoby and some of the starter it came in once it has gone cold. I have always enjoyed a nice cold bottle of kombucha from the store so time to make my own
20180623_152818.jpg

Green tea is good- but it's not recommended to start your batch with it. You really need the nutritive value of plain black tea, and then gradually acclimate your SCOBY to green tea, or other teas. Unless the person that gave you the SCOBY did green tea, of course.

Green tea is good- but it's not recommended to start your batch with it. You really need the nutritive value of plain black tea, and then gradually acclimate your SCOBY to green tea, or other teas. Unless the person that gave you the SCOBY did green tea, of course.
The brew does have some black tea in it from the starter tea that was supplied by the person I got the scoby from which I added two cups of to the green tea brew. Everything seems to look ok when I checked it this morning
20180624_085451[1].jpg

Last edited:
The only advice I'd give is to use two SCOBYs and extra starter tea if you want to use green tea for your kombucha until you get it acclimated. Green tea requires extra care and more starter to lower the pH and give the kombucha the nutritive value it needs.

I am a couple of batches in now and about to bottle another batch and the kombucha is now starting to get better my first batch did not taste too good as i let the tea steep for far too long, the scoby that I grew is doing very well and has produced a second scoby. The scoby I bought has only just started to produce a scoby as it had been kept in a refrigerator until i picked it up and is only just starting to get into full swing

The scoby I grew floating under its new one on the left, the one on the right is the bought scoby and is the tea I am bottling today.
20180715_104153[1].jpg

Latest posts

Back