Making Dubbel a Quad after start of fermentation by adding sugars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
Hello,
I brewed a belgain dubbel yesterday and ended up overshooting my OG. I had planned for it to be around 1.074 but ended up with 1.082 which will probably result in it being 8.5-9.5% ABV. I had thought about adding another 1/2 brown sugar and a pack of D-180 candi syrup mid fermentation to make it more of a belgian quad instead. Wasnt sure if i would get the desired effect since its already started fermenting or it would make the beer unbalanced and too sweet. see recipe below. Also would not be able to add until this Thursday but figure fermentation will still be going strong.

11# pils
1# munich
0.5# aromatic
0.5# special b
0.5# caramel munich 60
1# table sugar
1# D90 candi syrup

2.25 oz tettnanger at 90 min

belgian ardennes yeast w/ 2.5L starter

So you've already added 2 pounds of simple sugars and you're debating about adding more?

I wouldn't.

Is there a reason you need this to conform to a certain style, like a contest perhaps?

I would think that would disturb the balance of the beer. I would leave it as is. Especially if you think there is any possibility that the measurement could be off on the high side.

Your grain bill is already 13% sugar. I wouldn't recommend adding more. Actually, your recipe looks more like a quad to me anyway - if your attenuation is where I'd expect you're going to be over 9% and your IBUs would seem to be in the mid to high 20s. I think you will enjoy it the way it is. I think it's going to require some aging; more than a dubbel would IMO.

yeah, i thought that might be pushing it sugar wise. looks like i'll just have to deal with something right between a dubbel and a quad (that's not a trippel).

just for reference, what's the max you can go w/ sugar in belgian? did 1.5# with a 10% trippel and it turned out okay.

My Duvel clone uses 17% dextrose at the end of the boil. But that is a very dry finishing (1.005) golden strong.

Hello,
I brewed a belgain dubbel yesterday and ended up overshooting my OG. I had planned for it to be around 1.074 but ended up with 1.082 which will probably result in it being 8.5-9.5% ABV. I had thought about adding another 1/2 brown sugar and a pack of D-180 candi syrup mid fermentation to make it more of a belgian quad instead. Wasnt sure if i would get the desired effect since its already started fermenting or it would make the beer unbalanced and too sweet. see recipe below. Also would not be able to add until this Thursday but figure fermentation will still be going strong.

11# pils
1# munich
0.5# aromatic
0.5# special b
0.5# caramel munich 60
1# table sugar
1# D90 candi syrup

2.25 oz tettnanger at 90 min

belgian ardennes yeast w/ 2.5L starter

I've got news for you: at 1.082, it pretty much is a DSA. Let it ride.

Worry about getting the correct level of attenuation.

Back