making a tripel and some belgian questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinth

Reaction score
looking at crafting a small batch tripel this weekend.

10 litres, wyeast 1762

2.35 KG pilsner
150g munich
150g wheat

10g fuggles 45min
10g saaz 45min
10g fuggles 10min
10g saaz 10min

i've also got a few questions. when it comes to this yeast i've read to pitch it fairly cool to avoid fusels. so i was gonna pitch at about 16C/61F. when it comes to the whole ramping up slowly (eg 7 days), is that linear or after a couple of days and then over the next 4 days to avoid any rank flavours?

when repitching a small amount of yeast at bottling for big belgians, will this accelerate the conditioning due to the yeast being fresh or not really?

also, when i make a starter, i have nfi how many cells there are. ive just made up some 1.5L starters for example, kept two little jars and pitched the rest. do you all just use a certain size starter for certain gravity?

cheers

If the packages is fresh, you do not need to make a starter for only 10L.

Regarding fermentation with belgian yeast: personally, I never control the temperature with belgian yeast and I try to slightly underpitch. But this is the way I like belgian beer.

My limited experience showed me, that fermenting cold,er with hefe and belgian yeast, yields results I am not very keen on.

Better flavours result from a warmer fermentation, as least with belgian yeast and some hefe yeast.

i don't want to use an entire pack for one brew. i want to use it more than once. it's also really hot outside of the fridge here. you can't make beer without controlling it

Latest posts

Back