Making a starter...first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decant, then shake it up a little and smell... if its not too offensive smelling, give it a taste...

...sig quote anyone? lmao

Not 100% sure but it looks to be infected, how was your sanitizing process?

All the yeast should be a nice milky white, definitely not black stuff. Was there anything off color prior to cold crashing it?

Ya there was some black stuff prior to cold crashing. Sanitizing process was probably the best I have done. Everything got starzan multiple times.

NuclearRich said:
Decant, then shake it up a little and smell... if its not too offensive smelling, give it a taste...

...sig quote anyone? lmao

It smelled fine prior to cold crashing, I will do as you say after I decant it.

LLBeanJ said:
I'm stumped. The milky white stuff on top looks like healthy yeast, but I have no idea WTH the black is.

I wonder if I can just try to siphon out the good white yeast and try to leave as much black crap behind if that will work. Then cold crash again and try with a 2nd step

or just try a 2nd step on top of what I have...

Bamsdealer said:
Man... I haven't seen that before. I'd be scared to pitch that into my beer.

I agree! I'd rather get a new pack and start over than risk contaminating an entire batch of beer right from the start.

Well I did the 2nd step anyways. I kinda wonder if I burnt some of the DME when boiling it. If that's even possible.

After I decanted it the remains smelled good.

I probably wont pitch this. Looks like I will be getting some new yeast Tuesday.

Back