Making a sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right...that I understand. What I mean is if I mash as usual, then do a 15 minute boil just to kill any nasties, then chill to about 90, pitch my yeast, then pitch the lactobacillus about 12 hours later. I’m asking if adding the lactose during that initial 15 minute boil (I usually add it with about 5-10 minutes left) would be problematic down the road once I introduce the lactobacillus. I would not be boiling the beer again. Hope that clears it up.

As I re-read this are you thinking lactose and lactobacillus are the same thing? Lactose is milk sugar that will give a creamy mouthfeel and lactobacillus is obviously the bacteria. I can’t quite tell so forgive me if I’m assuming incorrectly.

Oh yes I was thinking Lactobacillus lol. Disregard ....carry on sir . ;)

Thanks really helpful, starting to get my head around it now. Is it ok to use enough acid malt to get to a 4.5 ph? I do not have a ph meter?
You could use acidulated malt, added to the mash after an hour and then mashed for another 15-30 minutes...
However I don't recommend acidulated malt for anything other than getting mash pH into the 5.2-5.6 range. I don't use it for even that because I prefer the liquid.

If you don't have a pH meter, 10mL of 88% lactic acid would be reasonable to pre-acidify 5 gallons of pale wort.

You only need to pre-acidify when you pre-sour. While that's a valid process, I prefer the other methods that are easier, more flavorful, and less risky.
Great. So there won’t be any weird interactions that take place between lactose (milk sugar) and lactobacillus at any point that will cause off flavors or anything undesirable?
Nope, it's all good!

Great. So there won’t be any weird interactions that take place between lactose (milk sugar) and lactobacillus at any point that will cause off flavors or anything undesirable?
As a matter of fact, it's very easy making yogurt. You just need milk and your Lacto culture.
  • Re-pasteurize the milk (optional) and chill to 100°F
  • Add Lacto to a container (e.g. jar) of milk
  • Let it sit in a warm place, covered for 24-48 hours
  • Drain off the whey, through cheesecloth or similar

I used goodbellys juice . Didnt go with the yogurt.
I found Goodbellys at Publix yesterday!!! I got a 16 oz of the Pomegranate/Blackberry. How much do I need for a 5 gallon batch and since its flavored with the same blackberry, does that volume count as part of the volume I'll add of fruit /gallon ?

I found Goodbellys at Publix yesterday!!! I got a 16 oz of the Pomegranate/Blackberry. How much do I need for a 5 gallon batch and since its flavored with the same blackberry, does that volume count as part of the volume I'll add of fruit /gallon ?

Man pomegranate blackberry sounds really good. I used the whole container . I didnt add that to the fruit .

Man pomegranate blackberry sounds really good. I used the whole container . I didnt add that to the fruit .
the only other one in the cooler was blueberry acai. sounded good but I didnt want to detract from the blackberry too much.
Thanks, I appreciate the help. Look at me , going waaaay outside my comfort brewing zone. You might expect a PM when I actually brew this.

the only other one in the cooler was blueberry acai. sounded good but I didnt want to detract from the blackberry too much.
Thanks, I appreciate the help. Look at me , going waaaay outside my comfort brewing zone. You might expect a PM when I actually brew this.

Anytime man . I used the blueberry acai and 5 lbs of blueberries. I'll do the pomegranate blackberry for their next sour. I want to like sours so much but I can only take a few sips , but they love em. This style was way out of my comfort zone as well lol so i feel ya . Good luck with the brew sir.

I can taste em, but is subtle. I was also expecting more of a burgundy, and it came out pink. Still very happy with the beer, maybe the fruit will come out more with age.
Wasnt enough, you cant taste any blackberries??
20190723_151554~2.jpeg

And in what form did you add them - whole, pureed, frozen/thawed, etc.? I would imagine a method that more involves the breakdown of the berries would help impart the dark color and more flavor.

I added them day 4 of fermentation. They were pureed. Got em fresh, froze them for about a week and then thawed and pureed.

Did you strain the purée? I’m guessing if the skins are removed you might lose a lot of the coloring? When I’ve used berries (1-2 lb/gal of raspberry, blueberry and/or blackberry), I get much deeper red/purple colors.

Last edited:
I just want the easiest way . I dont want to ruin any kettles, fermenters or kegs . I was under the impression that doing a sour Jack's up your stuff. I will more then likely bottle them .
Jag, Im going to be making a small batch kettle sour with my blackberries (with lime and hibiscus) soon (finally) . I'm just going to bleach solution clean the kettle afterwards so the funk doesnt ruin any future brews. Come to think of it , I might just go buy a food grade 5 gallon bucket (Walmart < $3)and dedicate it for sours.

Jag, Im going to be making a small batch kettle sour with my blackberries (with lime and hibiscus) soon (finally) . I'm just going to bleach solution clean the kettle afterwards so the funk doesnt ruin any future brews. Come to think of it , I might just go buy a food grade 5 gallon bucket (Walmart < $3)and dedicate it for sours.
You absolutely don't need to do anything to sanitize the kettle. Ever.
The whole point of kettle souring is to keep the bacteria where it can be killed with heat.

With Lactobacillus plantarum, there's no need for kettle souring or separate sour equipment.
It is not any more difficult to clean and sanitize than the normal yeast you're using AND it's extremely hop-sensitive so there's no chance of contamination even if you don't clean properly.

Hope this helps.

That sounds good . Like Rph said you wont need to do all that . Your going with kettle sour or you doing post blend sour?

Back