Making a Sam Adams Utopia Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
I'm trying to track down a bottle of this big beer right now, very intrigued by it. I'd like to try and make something close. I've read the threads cloning this, but the fermentation process seems like a heap of work. I don't have time to be adding things and aerating every couple days, so I have a few questions. I know i'll be mashing thin, and have to boil for a very long time. Can I brew a small batch, say mash 50% of the grain bill for 90 minutes, mash second half for 90 minutes, with the same mash water? Maybe run he first wort off into a bucket, do the second mash, and combine for the boil.

I was going to post this is the all grain section but I also have a few questions about the fermentation process. I'm usually not worried about numbers. I leave all my beers in primary for 10-12 days, and then secondary for 25-28 days. Is it possible to do something like this for a beer this big? I don't care how long I have to primary or secondary, but I won't be at home to aerate every few days, or start the fermentation with small amount and keep adding wort every time the fermentation slows. I'm still a new brewer (about 15 batches) so I'm looking for your experience, do you guys this can be cloned in a simpler way than others have done it?

Loaded questions... But here is my take.

Changing the Fermentation process will change the beer significantly. Ever brew a beer and have it turn out great, only to brew it a second time later on in the year to have it turn out different? Temp change or process change can be a huge factor in taste and flavor. With that said, if you are trying to clone a particular beer your going to have to replicate the process.

On to the questions; Yes two mashes will work fine as long as keep everything constant (temp, time in mash tun, aeration, ect). To answer your fermentation question, if you just ferment this beer as a normal beer you will not get the desired results. There is a reason they do what they do... The reason they keep adding wort is to keep the yeast healthy. If you just dump the yeast in to all that sugar they will over work themselves and create esters and off flavors. Putting a little bit of wort at a time will give the yeast time to multiply and stay healthy. It also gives them a better chance to survive the higher ABV that you are putting them in.

In short, if you want to clone that big of a beer, stick as close to the process as you can. If not, at the very least you will create beer. maby not the beer your trying to clone, but it will still be beer.

Thanks for the help guys. Always open to suggestions, but guess I'll have to wait until I'm home to ferment the proven way!

I was going to post this is the all grain section but I also have a few questions about the fermentation process. I'm usually not worried about numbers. I leave all my beers in primary for 10-12 days, and then secondary for 25-28 days. Is it possible to do something like this for a beer this big? I don't care how long I have to primary or secondary, but I won't be at home to aerate every few days, or start the fermentation with small amount and keep adding wort every time the fermentation slows. I'm still a new brewer (about 15 batches) so I'm looking for your experience, do you guys this can be cloned in a simpler way than others have done it?

No, no, and no. Hah, sorry but with wort that thick and so much alcohol, it's just not an easy thing to do, which is why you rarely see if commercially, and definitely not in large quantities. Aeration is extremely important. I have a 1.240 wort beer going right now... wish me luck. Even with my 1.150 OG, 16.3% RIS, I aerated for the first 5 days with pure Oxygen (and yeast nurtient). If you get to where you are able to do the fermentation the best way, go for it.

Back