making a lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garym58

Reaction score
Hello

I'm fairly new at making beer and currently making my first lager. I've got the 2nd stage in the carboy jug and the directions say to keep the temp between 35-44 degrees. I do not have a way to keep the temp constant so being from a colder state I am keeping it in my garage. For the most part the temps have been within the range but we've had some warm days and the temp has risen up to 50 degrees. How does this effect the fermentation proceess and does this ruin the beer?

Thanks!

It shouldn't mess it up too bad. As long as its in the colder range you will be ok. With the warmer days it might have risen your temps of the beer but probably not much as you would expect.

it'll just take a bit longer to lager if it's a bit warm. really, anything in the 40's or below will 'lager' the beer, mid to low 30's is ideal, but it'll still lager in the 40's. remember, the practice of lagering was originally done in caves and cellars, where the temps were cool, but not cold. if you're lagering well below fermentation temps, your beer will be fine.

Gary,

Things should be alright. The big thing I found when lagering in the garage is to keep the carboy sitting directly on the garage floor. Usually even though the garage ambient temperature might get a little warmer (around 50) the floor will retain much cooler temps and thus your beer will aswell. The main rule of thumb as far as I understand is to bring the beer down as cool as you can without letting it freeze. Lagering is a long process but if done right should produce a wonderful beer for your. Keep Calm and Brew ON!

Salukibrew

I have a Maibock lagering and I was out of town, long story short, SWMBO froze it!! Now I have 5.25 gallons of beer slush. But anyway, I try and keep my temp at about 38 when l lager.

Have you seen my Ghetto Lagering Chamber thread?

For the time you are concered about it being too warm, you could always have the fermenter sitting in a water bath inside the chamber, and add some frozen water bottles during that period.

yes, yes, definitely give that thread a read. Revvy's got a great idea for 'garage' lagering. his chamber build is about as easy on both the brewer and the wallet as it gets.
the water bath will actually work quite well also, with very little attention (a bottle or two every couple few hours) you can keep temp -15 degrees or so from ambient. :mug:

yes, yes, definitely give that thread a read. Revvy's got a great idea for 'garage' lagering. his chamber build is about as easy on both the brewer and the wallet as it gets.
the water bath will actually work quite well also, with very little attention (a bottle or two every couple few hours) you can keep temp -15 degrees or so from ambient. :mug:

It's been holding at a steady 35 degrees for the last 48 hours!!!

It's been holding at a steady 35 degrees for the last 48 hours!!!

:rockin: right on, man!! that's pretty sweet, i've got a ways to go with this Alt in primary, been holding it in the mid 50's since sunday with ice bottles. it's sitting in a cool area (~62) in my house, takes maybe a half dozen bottles throughout the day to keep it at ~55. :mug:

Hello

I'm fairly new at making beer and currently making my first lager. I've got the 2nd stage in the carboy jug and the directions say to keep the temp between 35-44 degrees. I do not have a way to keep the temp constant so being from a colder state I am keeping it in my garage. For the most part the temps have been within the range but we've had some warm days and the temp has risen up to 50 degrees. How does this effect the fermentation proceess and does this ruin the beer?

Thanks!

Welcome!! You'll be fine. Fermentation is complete, and that is when you have problems if it is too warm. For several years I made lagers without a proper lagering chamber. I would just keg my beers and they would sit for sometimes several months in a 60 - 65 F basement before being put into the beer fridge. After about 2-3 weeks on tap, with only occasional sampling, the beers would be crystal clear and delicious.

The same would work if you bottle. Do try to let them carbonate in the low 50's, but then they can just hang out for a while, as long as it doesn't get too hot (over 75F). Then just put them in the fridge at least two weeks before you want to drink them to get the clearest possible beer.

Back