Making a Brewing Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tplato12

Reaction score
Hello there fellow homebrewers, I am a current MIS major/ homebrewer and I thought making a beer app would be the best way to hone my skills.

I wanted to pick y'all's brains for some good ideas to include. Right now my app just stores critical data to a database and also uses it to calculate things like abv and ibu. I got inspired from the guy who fully automated his process where he can just upload his recipes from brewtarget to his programmable brew system. So eventually it would lead to a more automated setup, but as a college student this isn't feasible just yet.

But I digress. I was wondering if y'all have any ideas of things to include. Maybe things you wish software had, or things you don't see often, thanks!

Suggest recipes based off of current inventory or limited inventory.
I have several buckets of grain, lbs of hops, and bags of dry yeast.
Sometimes I just walk into my garage/brewery and just want to make something.
I think I would brew more if I didn't have to do so much planning ahead of time.

The biggest thing I would like to see is the customization aspects of iBrewmaster 2 (all fields are editable in each recipe but do not alter the main file) and the cloud compatablility of beersmith (super easy to make a recipe on computer, move it to the cloud, edit and tweek on the iPhone and iPad, or vice versa).

Back