Making a Boil kettle out of a sanke.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AHammer16

Reaction score
I am in the process of making a boil kettle out of a sanke 15.5 gallon stainless. Yesterday i cut out the top, what a friggin pain in the butt! I just ordered the stainless weldless ball valve from northern along with the bazooka T and the sanke adapter. Any body have experiance with doing this? Any thing I should watch for?

This past summer I did exactly what you're doing, although I had someone take a torch to the top. What did you do to get the top off?

After the torch, I had to use an angle grinder to clean up the cut. Next time I will use a cutting wheel with the grinder and bypass the torch all together.

To install the weldless kit, I grabbed a 7/8" hole saw bit from Lowes and used my cordless drill to make the hole. I screwed the weldless kit down nice and tight and have had no leaks yet. It seems to work extremely well.

vtfan99 said:
This past summer I did exactly what you're doing, although I had someone take a torch to the top. What did you do to get the top off?

After the torch, I had to use an angle grinder to clean up the cut. Next time I will use a cutting wheel with the grinder and bypass the torch all together.

To install the weldless kit, I grabbed a 7/8" hole saw bit from Lowes and used my cordless drill to make the hole. I screwed the weldless kit down nice and tight and have had no leaks yet. It seems to work extremely well.

I used a sawzall w/ a metal cutting blade. wow was that 3 hours of headache. The swazall doesnot follow a curve very well w/ a wide blade on it. Next time it will be a plasma torch.

What do you have inside the kettle?

AHammer16 said:
I used a sawzall w/ a metal cutting blade. wow was that 3 hours of headache. The swazall doesnot follow a curve very well w/ a wide blade on it. Next time it will be a plasma torch.

wow, mark another one for the angle grinder with cut-offs, a whopping 20 minutes and you should be on your way to the grinding disk to clean up the ragged cut.....
inside the kettle? wort :p
you dont have to line the kettle(keg) or anything, that's half the point - do you mean for the spicket? that all just cranks down (tightens down & crunches a gasket of sorts) or you can have something welded up (and whoever welds SS knows what to charge for it, ouch)

I used a high speed grinder with a zizz wheel and a step bit for the 7/8 hole. The Step bit is expensive but worth it.

AHammer16 said:

A friend of mine gave me a stainless steel drain tube and a compression fitting that I attached to the inside of the weldless kit. I have yet to get a false bottom. Right now I either use a hop bag or just run the whole mess through a strainer before it goes in the fermenter. The ball valve has yet to get clogged. Im using pellet hops, btw.

Back