Making a Blackberrry Lager in a Coopers Kit need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butl5737

Reaction score
Hi there I am just getting started with home brewing. For my girlfriend's 24th birthday I am making a 5 gallon home brew with a Coopers DIY kit. She wants it to be a Blackberry Lager and I purchased blackberry brewing flavoring off of amazon to add to the fermenter. My question is when do I add the fruit flavoring to the fermenter? People have told me to add it with the malt extract and yeast but I've also heard to add it 3-4 days before bottling.

If it is a flavor extract I would add directly to the bottling bucket, do not add with the yeast as the vigor of fermentation can blow off aromas. Also, if you are just starting are you equipped to properly control Temps to lager?

So the Coopers kit I think is similar to the Mr. Beer kit in the way that it goes from the fermenter to bottling there is not bottling bucket. And yes I do.

add it during the last day or 2 of active fermentation if you are going to bottle right from the coopers fermenter. The yeast will stir it in for you. The effect will not be as good as if you transferred to a bottlling bucket but will do the trick.

Maybe use a sanitized syringe to put the right amount of flavoring into each bottle at the same time you add the priming sugar/carb drops. Then bottle as per normal and invert the bottles a few times to mix everything up. Same effect as adding to a bottling bucket.

This would be a little more time consuming but one advantage is that you don't have to add flavoring to the whole batch.

Before setting to lager fermentation temp, double check to make sure that your kit does indeed come with a lager yeast. Its my understanding that some of the coopers lager kits come with lager yeasts and others come with ale yeasts...

Back