Make sure the valve is closed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed.

Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed. Make sure the valve is closed.

Did you happen to leave a valve open? Just a wild guess.

About 9 or 10 years ago, I put a batch into a new bucket. Then I put the lid on, and then the airlock. The airlock pushed the rubber gasket into the wort. I stood there dumbfounded- "Where did that grommet go? I can't believe it".

So, I duct taped the airlock into place. I never did find that rubber gasket for the bucket lid.

And I remind myself, even today, "Airlock goes on the lid, THEN the lid on the bucket. Airlock goes on the lid, THEN the lid on the bucket." Over and over. I sound like Rainman.

Yep. And to make matters worse, I stepped away to get something from the house. Fortunately, it was just water and not wort. (RO water with minerals and acid it.) I managed to catch it before too much ran down the driveway, but still - dumb.

Yep. And to make matters worse, I stepped away to get something from the house. Fortunately, it was just water and not wort. (RO water with minerals and acid it.) I managed to catch it before too much ran down the driveway, but still - dumb.

I've done it a few times. Last time I was sparging and walked away, and came back and found the first sparge (batch) had run out and onto my patio.

Closing the valves on my 3 keggles is part of my setup now. I don't start heating the strike water until all the valves are closed.

I've only done this once and it was when I had the valve over the sink, so it wasn't a problem at all. Oh, and it was star san solution too, so I just quickly shut the valve. No harm done.

I am kind of paranoid about stuff like that, though...

My problem lately is when I'm Vorlaufing I'm paying too much attention to how much is being collected and instead of closing the valve I open it full blast. Luckily I usually try to close way before it gets full so there has always been room, but it's still a shock and I start to freak.

I remember trying to fill up my sanitizing bucket outside in the dark. Must've stood there for a good 5 mins with the hose on full blast thinking "why is this taking so freaking long?!" Then I realized the spigot was open and it was all flowing out into the driveway. That was a good laugh, I'd be pissed if it was wort though.

Did you happen to leave a valve open? Just a wild guess.

About 9 or 10 years ago, I put a batch into a new bucket. Then I put the lid on, and then the airlock. The airlock pushed the rubber gasket into the wort. I stood there dumbfounded- "Where did that grommet go? I can't believe it".

So, I duct taped the airlock into place. I never did find that rubber gasket for the bucket lid.

And I remind myself, even today, "Airlock goes on the lid, THEN the lid on the bucket. Airlock goes on the lid, THEN the lid on the bucket." Over and over. I sound like Rainman.

"So I came to the interwebs for help, and yada yada yada, 65,000+ posts later..."

;)

Gawd I'm glad I'm not the only one that's done this. Of course in my case it was about the worst possible combination of factors:

1) Left valve on brew kettle open
2) Started runoff from mash
3) Walked away for a minute
4) Came back and went "WTF is that puddle???"
5) Oh yeah, I didn't mention, I do my mash INDOORS - yup. Probably a gallon of first runnings on the linoleum floor. This is when I'm glad I live alone so I didn't have to hear b!tching about the stickiness on the floor I couldn't get rid of for at least a week.

Awesome post. This has always been a problem for me. I leave the valves open to dry after I wash my kettles and forget to close them. Disaster ensues.

I literally open and close valves like Rainman now before I brew.

I had just gotten strike water to temp and was taking the lid from my mash tun cooler when I looked down and saw ***gasp!!!*** an open valve. So I closed it and was uninjured throughout the whole brewday.

I operate high pressure steam boilers so I am well versed on valve safety. Except for the time I was transferring to a bottling bucket and a big puddle formed on the kitchen floor.

Did you happen to leave a valve open?* Just a wild guess.

About 9 or 10 years ago, I put a batch into a new bucket.* Then I put the lid on, and then the airlock.* The airlock pushed the rubber gasket into the wort.* I stood there dumbfounded- "Where did that grommet go?* I can't believe it".*

So, I duct taped the airlock into place.* I never did find that rubber gasket for the bucket lid.*

And I remind myself, even today, "Airlock goes on the lid, THEN the lid on the bucket.* Airlock goes on the lid, THEN the lid on the bucket."* Over and over.* I sound like Rainman.

So glad I found this. I did this yesterday not paying attention (I was in a rush after I pitched the yeast). I washed and sanitized my arm and grabbed it real quick. I figured I would take my chances instead of the possibility of rubber leaching into the beer.

Should I have left the rubber grommet in? Really hoping I do not get an infection. Although, if I do, at least I know how I got it.

I've done similar when filling or transferring.

But the head scratcher was when I doughed in a batch. When I heat my water I go ahead and circulate it through the cooler mash tun to warm everything up. Got everything to temp. Closed valve on HLT at the proper level to make it the correct amount in the MT.

Doughed in the grains and thought "Boy this grain is taking up a lot of space in this cooler". Put the lid on and looked up at the HLT and there wasn't much water left in it.

I didn't close the valve on the bottom of the MT so it was siphoning back into the MT through the line from the pump to the HLT. At that point I just pretended it was a Brutus system and recirculated through the entire mash.

It does make for some really clear wort. :D

i think we have all been there.

it was water for me too, not wort.

That was my problem when I when to sample my Belgian Strong that I kegged last Saturday. I forgot to open the gas valve after dropping it in the keezer. :smack: it's a little undercarbed right now.

Edit: I've also failed to close a kettle valve too.

I still forget once in awhile to shut a valve off when swapping hoses... I then develop reflexes faster than a cat in water

Got me one of them fancy new SS spigots for my brew kettle. It's got one of them new fangled locks wrapped around it so if I see wort leaking out onto the floor/driveway I can't just reach down to twist it. NOPE! I gotta pull up on the piece of metal first. Hoping my handle isn't to hot from the boil.

Reminds me to plug in my 4" cut-off wheel and fix that thing.

Back