Maintaining a Bottle Dregs Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEWNCfarms

Reaction score
So it hit me earlier today, why not save Every bit of dregs from all the sour beers I’m drinking lately.

So I made a simple starter wort but only did a 500ml batch, and was going to just constantly pitch dregs.

Kind of like a sourdough starter, and then after a week or so of it building put it in the fridge until I drink more sours, then if I run out of room, decant and make more starter wort and continue pitching. The growler I’m using is only a 32oz glass one.

And then when I want to pitch some of the built mixed culture, pour some into the batch, then save half and just continue adding more dregs. That way it’s constantly building and diversifying it’s population.

Just started tonight, so I’ll keep this updated as I go. If anyone has any suggestions Please let me know thanks.

Oh and I’m going to keep foil over the top for a week or so, then put an airlock on it while it’s in the fridge or what have you, then when I go to pitch more put foil back on it.

I do a similar deal. It’s mostly wild yeast, I keep a lacto blend separate, but I don’t refrigerate any of this stuff. Just swirl to mix, pour out half or so, and feed with fresh wort here and there. I’ll make a proper starter by pitching a little bit of it if I plan to use it in a beer. Keep us posted, this is fun stuff.

I do a similar deal. It’s mostly wild yeast, I keep a lacto blend separate, but I don’t refrigerate any of this stuff. Just swirl to mix, pour out half or so, and feed with fresh wort here and there. I’ll make a proper starter by pitching a little bit of it if I plan to use it in a beer. Keep us posted, this is fun stuff.
Yeah I’m real excited about it! So do you shake or swirl yours or just leave it on the counter? Airlock or lid loose?

Latest posts

Back