Maibock/ Dead guy question. WHAT DID I JUST BREW?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisCorley

Reaction score
So I modified a dead guy recipe:

12 lbs pale 2 row
4 lbs munich
2 lbs carastan
perle 1 oz at 60 min
perle .5 oz at 30
sterling .5 oz at 15
sterling .5 oz at 5
WLP051 cali v ale yeast

Undershot the gravity just a bit so I ended up at 1.062 which should be about 6 or 6.2%

Ok so I know Dead Guy is a Maibock, which i thought was a lager but its brewed with Pacman yeast which is an ale yeast. So is it a nontraditional ale maibock?

The real question is, I'm trying to make labels and name my beer. What type of beer did I just brew?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

So you think this is an alt?

I dont really know the style of alt but the wiki says its similar to american amber. I guess I should just stick with "ALE." :)

Is maibock a confusing style or is it just me?

Maibock is a lager, plain and simple. If you use ale yeast, it's not a maibock. If go you strictly by bjcp guidelines, that recipe isn't really close to a maibock.

so is rogue's dead guy not properly categorized? i was under the assumption that it was a maibock and an ale.

ChrisCorley said:
so is rogue's dead guy not properly categorized? i was under the assumption that it was a maibock and an ale.

Oddly they call it a maibock but they use ale yeast

No, it's not a maibock. I think on their website they call it a "maibock style ale". Of course, there is no such thing.

It is not really an amber, since it's not quite hoppy enough, but I think that's the only style it could actually fit into if it had to be categorized off the top of my head.

If you're entering it into a competition or are just want to be "by the book" then it's not a Maibock because it uses an ale yeast. That being said for the most part it doesn't really matter if you want to call it a pseudo lager, maibock style or just plain Bob.

Also with 2lbs of 30L carastan you're going to be way darker than the Deadguy.

EDIT just plugged it into beer smith

Color wise and IBU wise you would be in American Amber Ale category. I bet it will be pretty damn tasty and smooth with the Perle hops. My only concern is you took a major hit to your effeciency on this one. Even at 70% you would be pushing 1.084 OG on this recipe. With what you pulled from it you only hit 50% efficiency.

If you're entering it into a competition or are just want to be "by the book" then it's not a Maibock because it uses an ale yeast. That being said for the most part it doesn't really matter if you want to call it a pseudo lager, maibock style or just plain Bob.

Also with 2lbs of 30L carastan you're going to be way darker than the Deadguy.

EDIT just plugged it into beer smith

Color wise and IBU wise you would be in American Amber Ale category. I bet it will be pretty damn tasty and smooth with the Perle hops. My only concern is you took a major hit to your effeciency on this one. Even at 70% you would be pushing 1.084 OG on this recipe. With what you pulled from it you only hit 50% efficiency.

It was my second all grain batch and yes my efficiency was pretty poor. I was batch sparging, only did one runoff (added too much water) and didnt let it sit long enough. Also didnt boil off as much as I thought and ended up with about 6 gallons into the fermenter. Took a reading and tasted it the other day and it is quite good though so chalk it up to lessons learned.

The next batch I brewed was a saison. I used Bobby's double batch sparge method and mashed a little longer. Hit my temps perfect and ended up with 72%! I can live with that!

ALSO: Thanks for all the help and direction. I brew for fun not for fame and I'm pretty new so I was just curious and you guys cleared a lot up for me! HBT rules. I'll say its an amber if anyone asks! :) THANKS EVERYONE!

It was my second all grain batch and yes my efficiency was pretty poor. I was batch sparging, only did one runoff (added too much water) and didnt let it sit long enough. Also didnt boil off as much as I thought and ended up with about 6 gallons into the fermenter. Took a reading and tasted it the other day and it is quite good though so chalk it up to lessons learned.

The next batch I brewed was a saison. I used Bobby's double batch sparge method and mashed a little longer. Hit my temps perfect and ended up with 72%! I can live with that!

ALSO: Thanks for all the help and direction. I brew for fun not for fame and I'm pretty new so I was just curious and you guys cleared a lot up for me! HBT rules. I'll say its an amber if anyone asks! :) THANKS EVERYONE!

When people ask me what style of beer it is, I usually say, "Mine!"

Back