Magnum hops too clean for IPAs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peruvian802

Reaction score
I've been using magnum hops as my bittering charge (60 min) for some time, but I notice a lot of my IPAs and APAs don't have a true bitterness to them. While they are plenty fruity/aromatic (I usually dump a ton of hops in at <5min), I'm not getting that true bitterness I usually taste in commercial versions.

Is there another recommendation for an inexpensive, high AA hop for bittering? (Nugget? Columbus?)

Apollo, Waimea, Columbus, Simcoe, Nugget, Chinook are all recent ones that I have used as bittering and have not been disappointed.

Waimea and Apollo are my favorites right now.

I use bravo. Nice and cheap. Are you using bulk hops or buying them each time? If bulk, How old are your magnum hops? How have they been stored? Maybe they're not the AA you think they are. I'd try using more or switch what the hell. CTZ is a great cheap bittering hop that also works well in those danktastic IPAs as flavor/aroma.

Chinook is probably my favorite bittering hop. I'd try that out.

I'll second that. When you bitter with Chinook, you know you've REALLY got a bittering charge. I use it in some IPAs when I want a real sharp bitterness. For others I use Columbus, which works well but is smoother than Chinook.

I've used magnum in my IPA's and like the clean bitterness provided. That said, it depends on your taste. I prefer to load up on late addition/hopstand/dry hop for big flavor and aroma. I know Sierra Nevada uses Magnum for bittering their torpedo.

That said, it all depends on your taste. Columbus is a great hop that should add more of an earthy, dank depth to your IPA if you are going for that. Summit would do the same.

I use bravo. Nice and cheap. Are you using bulk hops or buying them each time? If bulk, How old are your magnum hops? How have they been stored? Maybe they're not the AA you think they are. I'd try using more or switch what the hell. CTZ is a great cheap bittering hop that also works well in those danktastic IPAs as flavor/aroma.

I buy hops by the pound. Once opened, they are stored in a vacuum sealed Ball jar in the freezer between uses.

I use warrior hops in my pale ales, both the early and late boil additions, as well as dry hop. I have enjoyed this better than any other bittering hop for the style. It's also a clean bitter but closer to room temp it's much more pronounced.

I use Magnum for smooth modestly bittered beers - wheats, esbs, etc.
Chinook is my go-to for pales/ipas/dipas - especially as my home-growns easily produce enough for two years production every year.

I reckon I favor a bit of the "harsh" that most folks think Chinook brings to the party...

Cheers!

I've used Magnum as the bittering hop for a lot of the APAs I've made, but I can't recall ever using it in an IPA. I don't see why you couldn't though.

Is it possible that you are using too small of an amount? I have used Magnum for about half of my hoppy beers and get a nice bitterness based on the AA% and the total amount.

I use magnum for bittering often.

If your bitterness isn't firm enough, it could be water related. I'm not a fan of a ton of sulfate in the water, but I like about 150 ppm of sulfate in an IPA. Some brewers will even go to 300 ppm of sulfate to get that firm dry bitterness in the finish.

Do you know your water make up?

Also, a mash pH of 5.3-5.4 seems to really help the IPA's hops stand out.

I've been using magnum hops as my bittering charge (60 min) for some time, but I notice a lot of my IPAs and APAs don't have a true bitterness to them. While they are plenty fruity/aromatic (I usually dump a ton of hops in at <5min), I'm not getting that true bitterness I usually taste in commercial versions.

Is there another recommendation for an inexpensive, high AA hop for bittering? (Nugget? Columbus?)

IMO, yes, they are too mellow for what I like in IPA. OTOH, it's totally subjective and based on your own tastes, so fir some people they're great. Personally I prefer Columbus or Chinook (or a combo) for APA/AIPA

I second Yooper's thoughts on water. I have water that lends a sharp bitterness to even the mildest of hops which I have to correct for when going for malty brews. If you are using a good bittering hop at appropriate rates and are not getting the results you expect it's probably your water and or yeast profile. Some yeast strains can have a muting effect

Gonna try a rye PA today with Magnum at 60, Simcoe at 30 and Cascade at 15. Probably dry hop with Cascades too. Fun stuff.

I buy hops by the pound. Once opened, they are stored in a vacuum sealed Ball jar in the freezer between uses.

You might actually be better off just re-sealing the bag. I'd think that when you place the hops under a vacuum, you're causing the volatiles to off-gas. Nature hates a vacuum.

You might actually be better off just re-sealing the bag. I'd think that when you place the hops under a vacuum, you're causing the volatiles to off-gas. Nature hates a vacuum.

That's the way the producers pack the hops. I've vacuum sealed then hundreds of times without problem. Resealing the bag will not keep them as well.

I regularly use magnum for bettering as well. Maybe it's just how I perceive bitterness, but I get different types of bitterness depending on what I'm doing. For example, some beers I get an immediate, up front bitterness, while others tend to be smooth up front followed by a lingering bitterness. I tend to brew my pails and IPAs toward the latter, and for that I feel magnum works well for me.

That's the way the producers pack the hops. I've vacuum sealed then hundreds of times without problem. Resealing the bag will not keep them as well.

I get that the hops are in a vacuum sealed or nitrogen flushed bag. However, the OP says he has them in a vacuum bell jar, which would seem to me to be somewhat different from a vacuum bag. In the bag, the air is sucked out conforming the bag to the stored item (hops, in this case) but not actually placing the item in a negative pressure environment where in a vacuum sealed jar the hops are in an actual partial vacuum.

Just my theory, though.

I use magnum almost exclusively for bittering, considering I don't like excessive bitterness.

Back