Magic Hat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrunk

Reaction score
I just bought a Magic Hat sampler. They look bottle conditioned. Anyone have any luck cultivating yeast from their products?

I don't know how much luck you'll have with yeast from a bottle. Typically you want to pitch the cake from the primary, when yeast are still active. As I haven't tried pitching bottled yeast, I can't give you a definite answer, but my assumption is that the yeast will probably be pretty dormant, even dead. It may be more trouble than its worth to try and rouse them.

I don't know how much luck you'll have with yeast from a bottle. Typically you want to pitch the cake from the primary, when yeast are still active. As I haven't tried pitching bottled yeast, I can't give you a definite answer, but my assumption is that the yeast will probably be pretty dormant, even dead. It may be more trouble than its worth to try and rouse them.

It can be done. I forget what it is called.

It does take many steps though from what I have read.

Like multiple starters to build up the yeast from the TINY amount that you would find in a bottle up to a usable amount for a batch of beer.
I am pretty positive it can (and is) done.

More knowledgable members???

If there is yeast, you can culture them. Start with small starters (the size that can fit in the bottle), and work them up to pitchable starter sizes.

The issue is that many breweries will use a bottling yeast and it will not the yeast used to ferment the beer. So you really would not be getting the yeast you want. It is typically removed by filtration.

Haha I'm sure its possible, but for something as simple as a magic hat - besides for the pure science of it - wouldn't it more enjoyable to use a dry/liquid yeast? I mean, how novel can that particular yeast be to go through the trouble of innoculating it?

That being said, it may be a good way to practice prior to moving to more desirable, rare yeast strains... +1 for more knowledge!

Thanks guys. I'm pretty much just experimenting with this right now just to see if I can do it. I'm pretty new to brewing and am fascinated by the whole science of it. I usually just buy the yeast because it's simpler. I'll try it anyway.

FYI, I've never noticed yeast in any of the magic hat beers I've had. I'm pretty sure the stuff in their bottles is filtered. I could be wrong as its been awhile since I've had their beer.

#9 is bottle fermented? Since when. Might be an unintentional bug (and possibly worth cloning). Did the beer taste okay. . . ?

I would suggest using a beer that is known to contain good yeast. I believe some of the Rogue beers have "PacMan" yeast in them and I think you can culture from Two Hearted ale. If you can get Heady Topper where your at I know for certain you can get a good culture from that. A google search of beers you can get good yeast cultures from should work. Or maybe searching the forums here.

Anyways once you find something worth culturing here is a good article from Brew Your Own about culturing yeast from commercial bottles.

http://byo.com/yeast/item/1661-yeast-culturing-from-bottles-techniques

Back