Magic Hat, Summer Seasonal Wakco?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berwick12

Reaction score
Last year it was called kerouac. Whos had it? What do you think about it? It seems that they have mellow out the beet this year compared to last. I think that is why I liked it in the first place.

Check out the pic on. It might just be the ****ty lighting in my house. But the color is a deep pink to light red due to the beet sugar that they use. Cool Bees.

Flickr: christopher.olah's Photostream

I have never tasted a beet beer. My wife thinks this is a good idea. Is the name of the beer Magic Hat, Summer Seasonal Wakco?

There is a place in Atlanta that caries a very large selection of mirco brews. SWMBO has moved this to the top of the list.

I had it this past summer at a wilco concert, and though it was the sixth or seventh beer i drank that night, i'm pretty sure i really like it. I want to brew a beet beer, especially since i'm reading jitterbug perfume by tom robbins. Any recipe ideas?

Sugar beets are white. The sugar from them is white. Edible beets are mostly red. I believe they used red beets in the beer, not simple beet sugar. Most of the sugar in the grocery stores in the upper Midwest is beet sugar. I grew up in an area where they grow lots of sugar beets so I just want to make sure people aren't misinformed. The cane sugar industry is heavily subsidized and they like to promote the idea that their sucrose is superior to sucrose from beets. It is a crystalized product. Crytalization gives a virtually pure product

So, how do you think they added the beets? baked and then mashed? the juice during the boil?

I had some 2 or 3 years ago at a summer beerfest. Didn't really do anything for me at the time, but then again I think it was the first year they made it. No doubt they've had a chance to refine the recipe, not to mention that my palate has changed in the meantime.

My best guess is that they pureed and added the beets in the boil.

I had it at a tasting in worcester wasn't a huge fan had a dark red color and a very odd taste. Reading some of the posts i guess that was beets. In my opion not a good mix.

Back