Made some cider on the side, excellent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinDuluth

Reaction score
I had an empty carboy in the apartment and I decided to try throwing together a hard cider. It turned out very strong and pretty darn good if I do say so myself considering I had no idea what I was doing.
-3 gallons 100% apple juice
-2 gallons water
-4 cups orange blossom honey
-4 cups organic cane sugar
-Wyeast Belgian Strong Ale #Y1388

Fermented in primary for 2 weeks at around 74 degrees, and I bottled right after that in 15 oz grolsch bottles. It's really easy to drink because it's not that sweet, and finishing a few bottles will sneak up on you pretty quick.

Not having any cider experience, it's hard to say what the affect of the yeast was. It really wasn't that noticeable in the finished product. I saw in the description that it had a dry tart finish with a high alcohol tolerance, so I thought why not give it a shot.
OG was right around 1.10 FG: 1.010

Sounds tasty. I'm going into my 4th week of waiting on my batch of applebee. Hope to bottle it next week. Did a gravity check last night and pulled some extra off . Smooth and
went down real easy.
As soon as I bottle , another batch will go into the same carboy .

Back