Made My First Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meading_of_minds

Reaction score
Made my kids very happy. Made Ginger Ale and Lime Sodas over the weekend. I can definitely say they are a hit.
Here's my recipe for Ginger Ale:
GINGER SODA
1 Pc. Ginger, big as your hand
¾ cup Sugar
2 cups water
Peel and cut ginger into small pieces. Boil water, add sugar and stir till dissolved. Add ginger and boil for a minute or two, then remove from heat and allow to set until room temp.
1/8 tsp. Champagne Yeast
2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
Water, to top off 2-liter bottle
Wash a 2-liter soda bottle. Strain ginger from syrup and pour into bottle. Add 2 Tbsp. lemon juice and a little water, then add 1/8 tsp. yeast and shake up a little. Add water to fill bottle, cap and SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE!
Set bottle in cool, dark place for 24-48 hours. When the bottle is hard like soda bottles from the store, refrigerate and drink!
I only made one bottle of this and it's already gone.
I made two bottles of Lime:
LIME SODA
5 Limes
Juice 5 average size limes and strain out seeds and solids. Put into clean 2-liter soda bottle.
Zest peel of at least two limes and reserve.
SODA BASE
2.25 liters Water
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup honey
4 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Tsp. Champagne Yeast
Boil water. I used ¾ cup regular sugar instead of sugar/honey blend and made it a little sweeter for kids. Dissolve sugar in boiling water. Add reserved zest and boil for a minute or two, then remove from heat and allow to set until room temp.
I put the lime juice and the lemon juice right into the bottle. Put the yeast in ¼ cup tepid water and let set for 5 minutes.
Pour syrup into bottle, straining out zest. When half full, add yeast mixture. Top off with more syrup. Cap and SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE.
Set bottle in cool, dark place for 24-48 hours. When bottle is hard like store-bought soda, refrigerate and drink!
I've only got one 2 liter bottle left of this. I'm sure my kids will have more ideas. You can use the soda base to mix with other flavors. I did check the bottles every 12 hours and let excessive pressure out. I used 2 liter juice bottles, which must be "softer" than soda bottles. Since we don't buy soda, I don't have any 2 liter bottles! :p

Back