Made a fitting mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I needed to split my c02 for the keg and bottling gun and I was going to use a brass Tee fitting but it didnt fit with any of my swivel nuts. No I'm totally wondering how to know if fittings fit each other, my Googling has lead me down the path of NPT (fpt,mpt), MFL (ffl) and other terminology. Ive listed links to the 2 units I was using below - I've moved on from trying to use the Tee and decided to buy a distributor but I would like to know more about fittings.

1/4 ID Barbed Swivel Nut - 1/4 FFL swivel nut
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085DRH9HT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - 1/4 NPT Tee

After reading I now know the FFL and this Tee wont necessarily work because of the flared surface of the MFL and FFL connector but why do they not fit when they are both 1/4?? When Im buying these components do I need to know the OD and ID? and if so why wouldn't Norther Brewer or the Tee manufacturer list those numbers in the product details?

Thanks - this is my first post and I just finished my first force carb and have ended up in this weird world of fittings that I never knew existed eeeeekkkk.

There's too much to cover in detail while posting from my phone, but the short of it is the MFL is a flare fitting. Flare fittings seal on the flare, and have straight threads.

NPT, National Pipe Taper, has tapered threads. Both male and female threads are tapered, which means as the fitting is tightened the threads jam together tightly, sealing on the threads.

Though I don't know the exact details of the MFL, in addition to the straight vs tapered threads it's entirely likely that the thread pitch (number of threads per inch), and/or the thread diameter is completely different.

In short, they are two entirely different types of sealing joint and are not compatible. When connecting fittings, you need to use the same fitting type on both sides, regardless of the size.

P.S. Something like this, plus three hose clamps, would be what you'd want for a simple gas line tee, no pipe fittings at all. Note the tee I linked is for 5/16" ID lines, as my setup uses 5/16" ID for CO2 and 1/4" ID for beverage. If joining 1/4" ID line, get a barb tee for 1/4" line. 5/16" Hose ID, Hose Barb Tee T Union Fitting Intersection/Split Brass: Industrial Products: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Last edited:
If you want to use the Female swivel nuts (FFL) that you have 8FA8CED3-D126-4A12-81C2-386837E1BA71.png,
you’ll need a tee with male flare threads (MFL) DF89C826-323B-47A0-AE04-477E2134A4A5.jpegLink
When both flare connections are metal to metal, you’ll need a nylon washer between them to make a tight seal. 4F7D24C9-7F90-4959-8B06-DBC593639E9F.jpegLink
Even though different connectors are listed as 1/4”, they aren’t usually compatible without some sort of adapter. The threads and sealing surfaces are all different.

There's too much to cover in detail while posting from my phone, but the short of it is the MFL is a flare fitting. Flare fittings seal on the flare, and have straight threads.

NPT, National Pipe Taper, has tapered threads. Both male and female threads are tapered, which means as the fitting is tightened the threads jam together tightly, sealing on the threads.

Though I don't know the exact details of the MFL, in addition to the straight vs tapered threads it's entirely likely that the thread pitch (number of threads per inch), and/or the thread diameter is completely different.

In short, they are two entirely different types of sealing joint and are not compatible. When connecting fittings, you need to use the same fitting type on both sides, regardless of the size.

P.S. Something like this, plus three hose clamps, would be what you'd want for a simple gas line tee, no pipe fittings at all. Note the tee I linked is for 5/16" ID lines, as my setup uses 5/16" ID for CO2 and 1/4" ID for beverage. If joining 1/4" ID line, get a barb tee for 1/4" line. 5/16" Hose ID, Hose Barb Tee T Union Fitting Intersection/Split Brass: Industrial Products: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
thank you for the response - this info is what I was looking for!

If you want to use the Female swivel nuts (FFL) that you haveView attachment 700864,
you’ll need a tee with male flare threads (MFL) View attachment 700865Link
When both flare connections are metal to metal, you’ll need a nylon washer between them to make a tight seal. View attachment 700866Link
Even though different connectors are listed as 1/4”, they aren’t usually compatible without some sort of adapter. The threads and sealing surfaces are all different.
Thank you! and thank you for posting a Tee with MFL - I couldn't find those anywhere

Back