machinst for hire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytsejam

Reaction score
Hey hey!
I had a pinched nerve in my neck (non-work-related) a few months ago and got FIRED over it.:mad:
I haven't been brewing lately. Don't have much $, and too busy looking for work anyway.
I was taking an aptitude test for a job today, and while I was there I got called about having an interview for a good $, UNION, direct-hire machinist job!
Looks to be 50-75% pay increase over what I was making, plus MUCH better benefits.
Wish me luck, my brewing friends!
This works out, and I'll be on a once a week brew schedule!:mug:

Rock and Roll forever!!! :rockin:

Hey Hey!
That went pretty well!
I'll know more next week.
3rd shift (I love night shift)
$45K per year on low end, that's like time and a half from my old job!
It's in Rockford (Crackford), IL, which isn't too far from Illinois' largest State Park, Wisconsin.

ytsejam said:
Hey Hey!
That went pretty well!
I'll know more next week.
3rd shift (I love night shift)
$45K per year on low end, that's like time and a half from my old job!
It's in Rockford (Crackford), IL, which isn't too far from Illinois' largest State Park, Wisconsin.

Good luck Bud, I know it's tough.

I got called on a job in that town, but relocation isn't an option (her family). Also got emails/calls about moving to MD for huge money....but....

Michigan economy is rough, worst in 15 years overall-worst ever for machinists/toolmakers....but I think I just landed on a cloud....

Just took a job in the Tooling Dept. of a place that forges exotic metals for medical, aeronautical, and aerospace. Titanium, cobalt, and stainless stuff. We also do laser fixtures in solid stainless for titanium parts for aeronautical-laser trimming and laser CMM for the Boeing Dreamliner, Rolls Royce, etc. Real cutting edge (no pun intended) high tech stuff. We cut dies at full hardness using Makino mills running up to 30K spindle speeds. Fanuc Wire EDM's, and ram type impression EDM's, for what can't be milled as in deep narrow cavities, and we mill our own graphite for the ram types.

Medical implants are semi finished by us, and then sent out. Cutting super precise slots in tiny fixtures, lately, as in bone drilling fixtures, in pre-hardened SS that was cut on 5 axis mills. After wire EDM, part is surface treated, then chromed and surface treated 2 more ways...like a thousand bucks each and the things are 1" by a 1/2 "!

For the first time in my life, I enjoy going to work...people are excellent, it's A.C., there's a workout room, cafeteria, killer bennies, and there are hiring and growing like crazy. 30 minute drive.

Did I say I was happy there?:D

Yeah, Henry, sound NICE!
Climate Control is a deal breaker for sure.
Tough line of work to be in now indeed, and you're especially right about, MI. Seems Ohio is in tough times too.

Alright!!!
They didn't bid the job to anyone inside the company and I am on a very short list of candidates.
I have another interview Thursday morning, in person this time.
I'm already nervous as hell, but once I sit down and start talking shop talk, I feel at ease pretty quickly.

I got the job!!!

BUT.........

I have to pass the dreaded hair test.
I haven't been smoking that green stuff for awhile (could probbly pass whiz quiz) but I'm gonna get some of that magic shampoo just in case.
Sure hope it works!

Latest posts

Back