M54 Californian Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raymarkson

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I am a longtime reader of this forum (more than two years) and I have never posted because I have always been able to find any information that I need simply by doing a search here. This place is a wealth of information! Thanks! Anyway, I finally have something that I have not been able to find much information about and I am hoping that someone here may be able to help. I made a 10 gallon batch of BM's Cream of Three Crops and split it into 2 five gallon carboys. In one of the five gallon carboys, I pitched SA-05, which I usually use for this recipe with great success. In the other five gallon carboy I pitched Mangrove Jack's M54 because I wanted to try it out. They both require around the same temperatures according to the specifications on the packages, so I put both in my temperature controlled fermentation chamber and set it for 61 and the beer temperature was reading around 67 during fermentation. The Sa-05 batch came out great like it always does. The M54, however, has a very metallic taste to it and it is almost like water. Is this normal for M54? Can someone that has experience with this yeast chime in and tell me about their experience with it?

Back