M31 Tripel Mangrove Jack yeast reviewI know th

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
I know there are several threads related to this yeast but couldn't find one that's a straightforward review so I thought I'd fill the void.

1st pitch/first pitch was 1 dry pack into 5.5 gallons of 1.039 original gravity wort. 1st mini-mash I'd done in almost a decade, enjoyably easy!
20% light Munich German
16% Pilsner malt German
56% pale DME
2% special roast
1% acid malt
5% red wheat malt

.75 oz Pearle 8.1aau @60 minutes
1 oz Comet 9aau @1 minute.

SG 1.039
FG 1.008
4% abv

Cooled wort to 69, pitched dry yeast.

Fermented at 71F for 3 days, activity ceased at 48-56 hours post pitch. Raised temp to 74, then to 77. After 10 days, dropped by 5 degrees per day down to 40F. Kegged 27 days after brew day, was ready much sooner.

Sensory: the comet hops were a bit assertive, would back off or change hop type next time.

Appearance is just shy of brilliant, yeast flocs nicely. Thin white head.

Mouthfeel is medium, with a strong lingering finish. Yeast allows hops to come through.

Aroma of sweet grain, clove/spice, plum, with a little apple and pear.

Flavor is quite tart and heavily phenolic with a unique not so clean clove, grass, lemongrass, some green apple(not acetaldehyde).

Overall I give this beer a 28-32 points on a 50 or bjcp scale. There are no flaws per se but it's far more Saisonthan Belgian single. Id go 36 points as a saison. Much more Saison than it is Belgian in character.

Thoughts/notes: When the yeast is in suspension it tastes awful. I liked it enough to reuse in an imperial stout which I'll chronicle in the next post. Yes I was hoping for more fruitiness as it is not fruity at all! If brewing something similar I'd probably keep at 75+ for full ferment. A phenolic dominant beer despite the fruity hints on the nose.

Attempt #2

I used the yeast cake to ferment an Imperial Stout, calling it Belgian Imperial Stout.
Recipe:
11 lbs Thom. Faucett Golden Promise
1.5 lbs Steens brand cane syrup
.75 lb Midnight Wheat
.75 lb Blackswaen Chocolate (300 lovibond)
.5 lb Red Wheat malt

1 oz 5aau Glacier Hops @ 60 minutes
1 oz 11aau Magnum Hops @ 15 minutes
target 33ibus

Fermentation blew the lid off the brew bucket, extremely active! Started at 71F for 15 hours (had activity and 2 hours). Raised to 74F at 15 hours, then 2 degrees a day for 3 days to 79F. Fermentation complete at 56-72 hours. Maintained temps at 80F for 3-5 days after activity ended then cooled slowly to 50F.

Aroma: mildly roasty, cherry, acacia, rich grain, sweetness, and a general fruitiness that I can't quite describe.
Appearance: black with a light tan head.
Flavor: matches aroma but with clove coming through as it warms. hop presence is muted and much nicer than in the first beer. You'd swear there's darker 80+ lovibond crystal in the beer but there isn't. The balance in the beer is very nice. Fruity flavors are present, berry and plum mostly and of course there is roast and chocolate. It's a cross between milk/dark chocolate.
Finish is very balanced. Though the bitterness is subdued/on the low end, the beer drinks sweet but with a lingering dry finish that works really well.
Overall: I love this beer and what the yeast bring to the table. If entering in competition I'd have a hard time calling it a Belgian Stout vs Belgian Porter as the roast is quite round/not sharp. This yeast would make a nice Dubbel or Tripel. I'm guessing it may take some experience to figure out proper pitch rates and temps to coax exactly what you want as my varying temp/pitch rate produced significantly different yeast character in the 2 batches I did with the yeast. Will probably try it in a Belgian Blonde at higher temps next.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review - I've got a couple packets that I've been waiting to use. But in the meantime, I found Wyeast 3739-PC that I really enjoy. I hope to brew a Tripel with the dry yeast - I'll be sure to keep the ferm temp up.

Sorry to miss that, I'll revise post above, but 2nd batch OG was 1.084 with FG being 1.013/14.

Thanks. I've been trying to collect data on average attenuation of this yeast. Looks like 79-83%, and looks like it tastes great too. Eventually I will give this yeast a try.

Might that be Lallemand Abbey?

Possibly. I am wondering the same. I'll think on it some more tomorrow.

EDIT: @Miraculix , no, I still think it's most equivalent to Fermentis BE-134, not Lallemand Abbaye. Abbaye is more known for its banana than anything else, and above we're not even talking about banana at all.

Last edited:
EDIT: @Miraculix , no, I still think it's most equivalent to Fermentis BE-134, not Lallemand Abbaye. Abbaye is more known for its banana than anything else, and above we're not even talking about banana at all.

Interesting. So perhaps the reason the OP though it was more like a Saison is that it is Saison yeast! I see descriptors above like apple, pear, tart - sounds like a Saison to me. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Interesting. So perhaps the reason the OP though it was more like a Saison is that it is Saison yeast! I see descriptors above like apple, pear, tart - sounds like a Saison to me. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Good point! I didn't even read the descriptions from yeast mfrs but yeah.

I pitched M31 today for the first time. There are two distinctly different colours of yeast grain. so it has to be a blend. What could the dark one be?! See photo...

Attachments

• M31 yeast.jpg
    M31 yeast.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 43
I pitched M31 today for the first time. There are two distinctly different colours of yeast grain. so it has to be a blend. What could the dark one be?! See photo...

Just a few hours ago I pitched this M31 yeast and observed the same difference in color of yeast grains.

Do we have any new data on this yeast, what it might be?

Have a great day!

Back