"Luxury sports car..."

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Genesis is still my #1, and probably what I'll end up with. I'm just hung up on the interior. I feel like I finally deserve that real luxury that only certain brands can provide. But the Genesis is definitely the best value for the horsepower and performance, and the only car of that caliber that I can afford brand new.

My wife is big on having brand new cars and loves leasing. I'm more of a buying person. Even so, she still prefers I buy new than used. I'm saving a ton before I make this move. I'd like to put down as close to $10k as possible.

Airborneguy said:
I'm just hung up on the interior.

Why does it matter when you're just going to end up doing this to it? :D

image-2719226516.jpg

The Altima Coupe looks good but I don't know that it's necessarily luxury. The G37 or Lexus IS are probably the top two contenders if you'll exclude European cars. If you are reconsidering European cars, BMWs are fine but Audis also hold up well, drive incredibly well and usually have lower insurance costs than BMWs or Mercedes. Audis might be harder to find used reasonably new at low cost but you can probably find some A4s in the same vicinity as a 3 series if you keep your eyes peeled. You might even find some good A6s in your price range, too.

There is always the Subaru BRZ Limited. With a 6 speed automatic, just at your $30,000 price tag. Has rear seats, 200 HP and leather interior.

review http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-subaru-brz-limited-road-test-review-tuning-made-easy-page-2

2013-subaru-brz-limited-photo-453937-s-1280x782.jpg

Awesome car!!! But I've given up trying to sway power hounds over towards vehicles with handling. If somebody wants horsepower, they aren't going to be swayed towards something that handles supremely well. Just look at this culture, where the purest sportscar for the common person, the Miata, is considered a chick car.

The thing is, learning to corner is an artform. I'm lucky(?) that north of the rust belt, I get plenty of quality time to slide my automobile and play with the limits of adhesion when the white slippery stuff hits. However, you need to commit yourself to learning that. I actually reached a point where I could drift my MR2 around corners while holding a normal conversation with a white-knuckled passenger. And I always feared a cop seeing me, being convinced I was out of control, when in fact, my years of autocross racing and other automotive pursuits meant that I was just as much in control as when my tires are firmly planted. But that's a choice of learning a skill. And it's not an easy or cheap one to get good at.

If somebody just wants to hammer the throttle, more power to them. I understand. Given that I ride motorcycles on the street, I don't like the thought of dragging a knee around unknown corners. I have a muscle bike. It's straight line fun... and handles well enough. But if I got into track days, I'd sell my CBR1100XX and buy something like an SV650 or an R6 in a heartbeat.

Handling machines are cool. But most people will never get to enjoy them as much as they can enjoy an extra 100hp... unless they take it to a track. Different tools for different jobs. For the enthusiast, powerful cars make a lot of sense here in the US. Miatas, MR2's, that BRZ, other handling machines, are oddballs for real driving geeks.. they really aren't best for the mainstream enthusiast.

Looks like you are going all Japanese.....shame on you. Mopar or no car. Oh and by the way, Miatas are chick cars as are a lot of others suggested on here. But this is a beer forum. Don't get me started.

dscn2399_2sm.jpg

What's with old men and Miatas? I'm just sayin. It's an observation. When you see a Miata around here, you can bet the farm the guy driving has white hair.

There is always the Subaru BRZ Limited. With a 6 speed automatic, just at your $30,000 price tag. Has rear seats, 200 HP and leather interior.[/IMG]

No offense, but I've mentioned this car a few times already. ;)

It just seems grossly overpriced to me when compared to the Genesis and even the Infiniti. The Genesis is basically the same price, and the Infiniti can be had for only a few grand more, both brand new. For that priced used I'm looking at BMW's and ridiculous American muscle cars, both in power and luxury, for even less than the BRZ/FR-S.

I've researched it a ton and honestly don't see how they make that car popular without lowering the price or adding more features/power. The way it stands, its the equivalent of an entry-level Eclipse, just much more expensive (and rear-wear drive).

What I'm thinking is that Toyota wants to test the market for a Supra-like sports car again, and Suburu is eventually going to turbo and AWD it. At that point, I'd definitely consider it again, but I only have a year at most to make this move.

By the way, whoever mentioned the Miata... I love that car, but need the backseat for emergencies. Until I can afford to keep 3 cars around, I have to have a backseat just in case. It snows a lot here. If I'm driving a rear-wheel drive sports car I'll be taking my wife's truck to work frequently in the winter. She has to be able to put the kids in my car when that happens.

Wife talked you into the minivan, didn't she.

I'd be living in it, because I'd leave. :mug:

I've been toying with the idea of buying an Eclipse GSX to work on until this stupid Altima lease is up. The benefit of having no car payment when all is said and done, even if it only lasts me a few years, outweighs giving up the luxury. In 4 years I hit top pay on the promotion I just got. I'll be in a different price range then and she'll probably be working again also, so there's big benefits to tooling around for a few years in a fun little rice burner.

I found one last night and was negotiating back and forth with the guy, but he seems to have disappeared now. Must have found another buyer.

What's with old men and Miatas? I'm just sayin. It's an observation. When you see a Miata around here, you can bet the farm the guy driving has white hair.

Yeah there is no denying Miata's are great little track cars that DO handle like a dream, but they aren't anywhere near the "luxury sport" category. And if I was to go that route (small car that handles well; fun track car) I'd be looking at an S2000. I wouldn't want either as a daily driver however.
The new Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S (same car, different badge) are cool little cars, but I still say there is no comparison to the twin turbo 335i coupe in that price range. Granted, the bimmer would be used, but you could still find one that's barely broken in at the price point you're looking for....

i don't know where this ended up but do not get the 3000gt.

my dad had one, fun enough, but.....no. just, no.

Handling machines are cool. But most people will never get to enjoy them as much as they can enjoy an extra 100hp... unless they take it to a track. Different tools for different jobs. For the enthusiast, powerful cars make a lot of sense here in the US. Miatas, MR2's, that BRZ, other handling machines, are oddballs for real driving geeks.. they really aren't best for the mainstream enthusiast.

I'm seeing the guys drop LS1s is 944s and Miatas. Best of both worlds. I've been seriously considering the 944 LS1 as my next project car.

It snows a lot here. If I'm driving a rear-wheel drive sports car I'll be taking my wife's truck to work frequently in the winter. She has to be able to put the kids in my car when that happens.

.... wait a minute.

When the weather turns ****ty, YOU'RE going to be driving the safe vehicle, and you're going to leave behind the read-wheel drive sports car for your wife to drive the kids around in? ;)

.... wait a minute.

When the weather turns ****ty, YOU'RE going to be driving the safe vehicle, and you're going to leave behind the read-wheel drive sports car for your wife to drive the kids around in? ;)

My friend said the same thing. ;) She doesn't work so it would just be for emergencies close to home. I'm going to be commuting 60 miles each way.

I spent two months in Korea at the Hyundai tech center, working on the new Genesis and I was not impressed by the engineering. They have spent a ton of money on what I call "band-aids" for noise and vibration issues. I know a lot of people like that car, but after seeing it under the skin, the engineering is for the most part at least 10 years old. Just my two cents.
I just was working with Getrag on a project for their twin shaft 6 speed manual and that is a sick transmission. It is a manual that drives like an automatic. You can row the lever if you want but around town the computer works the clutches (two of them) and shifter and it is crazy. Right now it's in the high end Fiesta and the Jetta.
I think that the Caddy would be a good choice; the GM cars I've worked on the last 18 months have been light years better than the cr*p they built before. The new Caddys are going to give the BMW cars a real run for their money. GM finally seems to have figured out how to make a car handle right (except for Buick; yech!)
Heck, buy an old 308 Ferrari for $25k and look like Magnum PI! Of course, service and parts will bankrupt you, but you'll look good going down.

A coupe with a backseat...... cute :D

Also no Nissan and Lexus. You can do better.....

Save a chunk of change and buy used -- the market segment you are looking at is almost the 'perfect' post-lease market. You'll save anywhere between 33%-50% off the original MSRP and it'll be in pristine condition with low mileage.

CTS-V is the king of domestics IMO. If you can swing it, it's a no-brainer in my book.

G35/G37 are huge bangs for your bucks. A friend of mine bought a post-lease 2010 G35, loaded, out the door for $17k.

SRT8 Chargers & Jeeps are torque monsters. Not exactly luxury but they are well-respected in the MOPAR world. Probably too much street and not enough luxury.

If I had to drive a (non-M) BMW, it would be the 335i. Four doors, nice power, but it's euro. You an also pay $3-5k to get the computer flashed which gets you almost 100? more horses and even keeps your warranty valid.

There is nothing wrong with rear wheel drive in the winter time. Here's what you do.

Go to thetirerack.com and order a second set of rims and snow tires. Mount your summer tires on the good rims, the winter tires on the cheap ones. Then buy a decent floor jack for under $100.

Sometime before the dirt snow fall, swap your tires. This will take you about an hour, but it's worth it. Honestly, RWD with snow tires perform just fine in the winter. No issues. You just have to pay attention and enjoy driving the car.

I totally agree about RWD, but for her to be driving it isn't the best situation possible, that's for sure. Our other car is a Jeep Patriot.

I'm really leaning towards the DSM route, preferably an Eclipse GSX, '97-99. Talking to another guy now with one that only needs minimal work.

Only having one car payment is just too tempting.

booooooooooooooooooooooo DSM.

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

'97 eclipse? I thought you wanted a "luxury sports car"?

Back