"Luxury sports car..."

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to see you reconsidered european vehicles. They do cost more to maintain and repair, but the quality is so much better than most of the tin and plastic boxes out there.
The Audi A4 is nice. A friend has one with the 2.0 FSI engine, and with a chip tune only he is putting out 250 hp. Their AWD systems are bullet proof.
I drive an 04 VW Golf R32. I absolutely love it. Gas mileage is around 20-22 mpg in cities or when driving agressively. Highway is usually around 28-30. 240 hp and 230 trq make it a rocket. 0-60 in 6 sec and 100 in 14 sec. AWD and a neutral weight balance let you throw it around without ever losing control. Huge brakes as well. And the exhaust!...it makes sounds that are almost x-rated. 2 1/2 years of driving and it can still make me shakey in the knees.

Driving cars that in the low 4 sec 0-60 range are still slow to me. Can't go wrong with a 911 :D
The new Golf R has some of the most comfortable seats I'ev sat in. It's probably kinda quick with the above specs.

The old S4's 2000-2002 with the 2.7T. With a chip/ exhaust would be around 320 bhp, and stage 3 was around 500 bhp. That was a fun car! Maybe getting a little old. So I say the new S4's , or if you like a couple the new RS5 or S5... hmm, proabbly out of your price range.

sweed said:
Driving cars that in the low 4 sec 0-60 range are still slow to me. Can't go wrong with a 911 :D
You can if you are over 6'6"... I tried to drive a Porsche once. It was physically impossible.

Airborneguy said:
So finally a benefit to being 5'9": I can drive any sports car I want!

Yep, and be an astronaut too. And if you had to sleep in a submarine, you're going to be loving life compared to me.

It was more like a Sh!tsubishi. I would stay away from them. The Mustang would be a better choice. Probably has a bigger back seat as well.

I've had two Eclipses in the past, never had an issue. I did blow the engine in the second one, but I drove it like a maniac and didn't keep up with maintenance. Certainly not the best cars, but I don't get the bad rap.

Sir Humpsalot said:
There is nothing wrong with rear wheel drive in the winter time. Here's what you do.

Go to thetirerack.com and order a second set of rims and snow tires. Mount your summer tires on the good rims, the winter tires on the cheap ones. Then buy a decent floor jack for under $100.

Sometime before the dirt snow fall, swap your tires. This will take you about an hour, but it's worth it. Honestly, RWD with snow tires perform just fine in the winter. No issues. You just have to pay attention and enjoy driving the car.

Definitely a common myth that rwd sucks in winter. Threw Blizzaks on my mustang gt and the thing drives like a tank for two winters now. I have two sets of rims, they pay for themselves since a shop will charge $25 a pop to swap a tire on your rims.

And then since you got two sets of tires you get a fun set of summer performance tires to enjoy.

In fact, ill probably get some snow tires even if I drive a fwd car in the future, they truly transform your cars performance in the snow and ice.

TheMan said:
Definitely a common myth that rwd sucks in winter. Threw Blizzaks on my mustang gt and the thing drives like a tank for two winters now. I have two sets of rims, they pay for themselves since a shop will charge $25 a pop to swap a tire on your rims.

And then since you got two sets of tires you get a fun set of summer performance tires to enjoy.

In fact, ill probably get some snow tires even if I drive a fwd car in the future, they truly transform your cars performance in the snow and ice.

You can def drive rwd in the winter, its those.... Dummies in the BMW that keep titer summer tires on and wonder why they are all over the road. Heck, summer yours on awd won't work! But I do love my awd cars. I need to try out rwd sometime, and that'll bring me to my fav since a kid, a Corvette. :) z06 of course.

In my experience, winter driving is not so much about whether your car can or can't handle it, it's everybody else on the road you have to worry about. I had a V6 mustang in Cleveland with snow tires and some weight in the trunk and drove just fine, but very cautiously about other people on the road because the general population of the world has an IQ of 10 or less.

Sorry to jack, but my ultimate luxury sports car. Nothing compares to AM!

aston_martin_racing_green_edition_image_1.jpg

The best part of that pic is the fake police car. We actually store one for movies in our garage. I guess someone picks it up when they need it.

I had 8 cops begging, "Please sarge can I drive it back?!?!"

It was some punk kid in daddy's car driving drunk doing donuts on the streets. Sick friggin' car.

Nice, my buddy just bought one earlier this yeaar lucky bastid! But, it's in the middle east, where he's doing work. It would be a fun car to drive for sure!

I don't know if you can have fast, good on gas, luxury, 30k and new in the same sentence? I suppose luxury is different to everyone. It looks like your looking for something sporty and good on gas, err... it'll look sporty but performance? Killing anything euro is cutting out a huge segment of great cars.

The turbo v6 Mustang isn't too bad tbh.

If you go Ferrari 308 then you have to get the Tom Selleck stacheo ;)

How about a rally car? A turbo WRX? drives like a dream, but not exactly "luxury" in most eyes. Just a thought.

A friend at work picked up the Scion FR-S last week. Just saw it today. That's really an awesome looking car, but he confirmed that its seriously under powered. Hopefully they give it a turbo real soon. Maybe I'll pick one up in a few years.

Oh man my brother had one of those out in california. I really wanted one. Not so much now. Funny how things change.

When I came of age to drive, I thought the Dodge Shadow sport model was the best thing in the world. It had looks, performance, and wasn't too pricey. You're right about how things change. I can't look at this photo without laughing to myself.

dodge-shadow-shelby-csx-04.jpg

A friend at work picked up the Scion FR-S last week. Just saw it today. That's really an awesome looking car, but he confirmed that its seriously under powered. Hopefully they give it a turbo real soon. Maybe I'll pick one up in a few years.

There is already a tuner out there that put a s/c in a BRZ. That defintely helps. But I have read that with the car as is, the feel, steering, suspension, it is a really great track car.... of course more power never hurts! But in case of subaru, awd and a turbo would be awesome. I have one and it's a great car, not luxury one bit though! :cross:

The luxury part is out the window now. I've decided I want to build something, so I'm probably going to pick up an Eclipse. I'm going to look at a '97 GSX tomorrow that is supposed to be mechanically sound and already has work, but needs to be painted.

Looking for some Fast and Furious action? Going all Paul Walker on us?

Walker - "Yo but I had you"
Torreto - "You never had me, you never had your car!"

Bedlam said:
How about a rally car? A turbo WRX? drives like a dream, but not exactly "luxury" in most eyes. Just a thought.

Since luxury is out the window, wrx is a good choice. Price, reliability, and winter performance. Fuel mileage may be an issue, depending on your commute etc.

I have an 07, and while the interior is minimalist, it certainly isn't crappy. I look forward to every single drive.

Well, if luxury is out the window, why tune? Are you trying to relive your youth or something? Just get a Corvette for $20-25K and smoke those little punk kids with their fart-canned, shopping cart-winged, "tuner" cars.

And have day-in-day-out reliability to go along with it. You will NEVER get that from a car with an interesting tune... says the guy who blew up his nearly-stock MR2 at 65K... because he kept taking it to the track. :ban:

But hey, if you want a hobby car, and are willing to put in the money, or the sweat equity to make it cool and exciting, more power to you. Just make sure you're actually the type of guy who's willing to let the car sit for a few weeks as you wait for the new upgraded aftermarket motor/trans/clutch/diff/etc to arrive. If you won't do that, it ain't gonna be much of a tuner car. And if you do do that, it ain't gonna be much of a daily driver.

But hey, if you want a hobby car, and are willing to put in the money, or the sweat equity to make it cool and exciting, more power to you. Just make sure you're actually the type of guy who's willing to let the car sit for a few weeks as you wait for the new upgraded aftermarket motor/trans/clutch/diff/etc to arrive. If you won't do that, it ain't gonna be much of a tuner car. And if you do do that, it ain't gonna be much of a daily driver.

This is actually what made me change my mind. I know this thread took a 180, but one thing that hasn't changed is I'm saddled with this Altima for another year no matter what. So I'm thinking why not pick something up now, take advantage of the year to work on it, then have no car payment when the Altima goes in. I already have a brand new Patriot anyway to fill the holes when my toy needs the inevitable work. Might as well have a true toy.

I'm looking at two tomorrow: a GSX that is already upgraded and supposedly mechanically sound but needs a full paint job, and a GS Spyder owned by an old man with a mint interior. It's a tough choice. The Spyder is cheap enough to justify dropping a rebuilt turboed engine into it next spring before I register it. Coming off of a Wrangler, I'm really liking the idea of another convertible. Both are manual of course.

Not having driven either one of those, I can say which would be more interesting. But I've been considering dropping an LSx engine into a Miata for sometime now. If done, it can still maintain an almost ideal weight balance of 51/49 (I think). There's a shop around here that did it before a wiring harness and other parts were available for purchase.

http://www.pbase.com/beagleracing/the_lsx_project

Back