Lutra Omega Yeast Washing --> Seltzers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratinator

Reaction score
Omega yeast is hard to come by locally, but I am going to get my hands on some Lutra along with the propper seltzer nutrient to make a seltzer. Due to the cost of shipping and availability I was wondering if it is possible to wash and reuse Lutra yeast to continue to make seltzers off of a simple pack (I would buy multiple propper packs). Washing the yeast would obviously be simple, but what would I need to do to make a starter (obviously wouldn't want to use DME)? Would simply pitching the harvested yeast into a sugar-wash/propper nutrient pack be enough?

I’ve kept the same batch of Lutra going for several months and onto the third ferment with it right now. No need to wash as there is no protein in a seltzer. I transfer seltzer to keg and swirl the remaining seltzer to get the yeast mixed in and transfer to a sanitized mason jar and store in the Keezer.

I’ve kept the same batch of Lutra going for several months and onto the third ferment with it right now. No need to wash as there is no protein in a seltzer. I transfer seltzer to keg and swirl the remaining seltzer to get the yeast mixed in and transfer to a sanitized mason jar and store in the Keezer.

Awesome that is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!

Off the original Lutra yeast on the first batch how many jars can you get out of it

or do you just collect all the yeast in one jar and pitch the entire jar the next time

or can you split? If so how small of a spit can you get away with

Off the original Lutra yeast on the first batch how many jars can you get out of it

or do you just collect all the yeast in one jar and pitch the entire jar the next time

or can you split? If so how small of a spit can you get away with

I would say I got about 500-600mL of saved yeast from a batch. I pitched half back in to each successive batch.

I will highlight that each batch after about two weeks of aging has eliminated the sulfurish, bready yeast aroma that is there when the brew is young. I suspect I’ve done a few things wrong - fermenting under pressure for last day or two - should let this blow off completely and add CO2 back to cold crash and carbonate. 4 day turnarounds are theoretically great but for fermented drinks I always find bulk aging to significantly benefit flavour and this is no different.

nutrient type does make a difference in clarity as well. Seltzer max leaves a but
More colour than Propper in my experience but both drop crystal clear without gelatin.

Omega yeast is hard to come by locally, but I am going to get my hands on some Lutra along with the propper seltzer nutrient to make a seltzer. Due to the cost of shipping and availability I was wondering if it is possible to wash and reuse Lutra yeast to continue to make seltzers off of a simple pack (I would buy multiple propper packs). Washing the yeast would obviously be simple, but what would I need to do to make a starter (obviously wouldn't want to use DME)? Would simply pitching the harvested yeast into a sugar-wash/propper nutrient pack be enough?

Why wouldn't you use DME in the starter?
You could take your lutra pack, make a starter. When it's done, split it into 2 jars, one for keeping and one for your seltzer. Put them both in your fridge for a few days to cold crash. Before you pitch, decant most of the beer off the top so you don't get it in your seltzer.
For the next batch, take your saved portion of starter out of the fridge, and repeat the process.

Back