Lutra in a pseudo-lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJL531

Soon to be exploring the US, one beer at a time
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Making a maibock using Lutra. Og is 1.066 and after 9 days we are down to 1.022 and still bubbling. Temp at night gets to 74 and maybe 80 during the day.

Making a maibock using Lutra. Og is 1.066 and after 9 days we are down to 1.022 and still bubbling. Temp at night gets to 74 and maybe 80 during the day.
What I mean to as if it normal for Lutra to take off like a rocket and even with a steady bubble be going this long? This was an extract brew, not that that should make a difference.

This is 5 days in for a pseudo Pilsner with lutra I fermenter at 71. Cold crashing now because I don’t want it to drop lower but I do think it’s done.
9F641C29-C673-412A-8242-63C0B8C022C1.jpeg

Well, my Lutra got stuck and I have no idea why. I made a US-05 starter and added it in there and it slowly started going again. Almost 4 weeks in I got to the FG I was after, or close to it, and bottled it 4 days ago. 3 days bottle conditioned and it has some fizz and no head, but tastes pretty good. I have another pack of Lutra I will use again, but not sure on what just yet.

What are you using to take your gravity reading?
I have a glass hydrometer and I temperature correct the readings.
I don't have my book with me but I noted all the readings I did. I must have checked it 7 or 8 times.

Just making sure it was a hydrometer, countless times I’ve seen people post about stalked fermentation right around 1.022-1.026 but they were taking readings with a refractometer.

Also Did you using yeast nutrients at all? Lutra seems to have have big nutritional needs but I wouldn’t think that would affect attenuation so drastically.

If there are fermentable left, the us05 will surely take care of them

I did not put in nutrients, but in 12 hours the top was pushed off the fermentor so I thought all was healthy and strong. I did add them to the US05 starter to make sure it was as healthy as it could get.

That is odd. This almost seems like not a yeast issue, maybe a mash issue... I've brewed with Lutra a fair bit an it always takes off in about 30 minutes and finishes pretty dry (1.008-1.012) no matter the gravity and no o2 added. I usually always pitched warm and let it fall to whatever room temp is.

That is odd. This almost seems like not a yeast issue, maybe a mash issue... I've brewed with Lutra a fair bit an it always takes off in about 30 minutes and finishes pretty dry (1.008-1.012) no matter the gravity and no o2 added. I usually always pitched warm and let it fall to whatever room temp is.
I have to agree. Everything I have read says this fires up and runs like crazy. I didn't make note of this, but I use RO water on nearly all my brews over the last 8+ months. I'm in Baton Rouge and we have pretty soft water with a high sodium content. Looking back at other Kveik yeasts I have used, I never had this problem and most, even those that took 36+ hours to get going (yes, WTF???) finished in 3 days after that and I bottled on day 7. I have another pack of Lutra that will be used in a month or two for a pseudo-lager I am devising. We shall see what that does...

Oh, one more thing and I don't know if this matters. When I took the OG it was crazy high. I took the sample from the tap at the bottom of the carboy. It made no sense. Then I realized I didn't stir the wort after adding the extra water to make it up to 5 gallons. This was an all extract brew with a 3-3.5 gallon pre-boil volume. I forgot all about it when the the next morning I had the yeast 'explosion' and figured it was grinding through all 5 gallons . Maybe it didn't.

Hmm Hard to say. I also use Wyeast yeast nutrient. That might make a difference, maybe not. But I always use it regardless. With any of the kveiks, I don't oxygenate. They just don't need it.

I tried 2 lager-like beers with this yeast and they both took a while to clean up flavor-wise and in appearance in the keg. I had high hopes for Lutra but I ended up going back to easy to use lager strains.

Here’s one of those beers.

8C9A5A97-35C6-40F1-81FF-0CBA6080F837.jpeg

I tried 2 lager-like beers with this yeast and they both took a while to clean up flavor-wise and in appearance in the keg. I had high hopes for Lutra but I ended up going back to easy to use lager strains.

Here’s one of those beers.

What are those easy to use lager strains in you opinion?

What are those easy to use lager strains in you opinion?

Augustiner, S23, 34/70 & S189

Those are the ones I’ve had the easiest time with - I don’t have temp control but live in New England and my basement gets between 50-60 in winter and then I lager in the garage in a keg which is 35-45.

I only do lagers in winter, so I was excited for Lutra, but…

5 days and it's that clear? Wowza. Any tips you can provide? SMaSH Pils?

Nicely done.
I fermented at 71 it was 9 pounds pils .5 carapils .5 Vienna and I really didn’t do anything it was in an anvil brew bucket and just looked that way when I took a sample.

Back