American IPA LushJuice IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerlover77

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Balanced, Tropical Fruit, Juicy
LushJuice IPA - American IPA (14B)

Batch Size 5.630 gal Boil Size 7.130 gal
Boil Time 1.000 hr Efficiency 82%
OG 1.065 sg FG 1.016 sg
ABV 6.7% IBU 68.9 (Tinseth)
Color 7.6 srm (Morey) Estimated calories (per 12 oz) 217

Total grain: 12.625 lb
Name Type Amount

Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 11.000 lb
Light Munich Malt Grain 1.000 lb
Carastan Malt - 35L Grain 6.000 oz
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L Grain 4.000 oz

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU

Columbus 15.5% 1.000 oz Boil 40 min Pellet 39.2
Citra 12.0% 0.5 oz Boil 10 min Pellet 6.3
Mosaic 12.0% 0.5 oz Boil 10 min Pellet 6.3
Citra 12.0% 1.25 oz Boil 5 min Pellet 8.6
Mosaic 12.0% 1.25 oz Boil 5min Pellet 8.6
Citra 12.0% 1.25 oz Boil 0.0s Pellet 0.0
Mosaic 12.0% 1.25 oz Boil 0.0 s Pellet 0.0
Citra 12.6% 2.0 oz Dry Hop - Pellet 0.0
Mosaic 10.6% 2.0 oz Dry Hop - Pellet 0.0

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage

Safale S-05 Ale Dry 1.5 Package Primary

Mash
Type Amount Temp Target Temp Time

Infusion 4.258 gal 165.5 F 152.6 F 1 hr

Attachments

• LushJuice IPA.pdf
    164.2 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:
This is my mainstay IPA now. It is big, balanced - smells & tastes like a tropical fruit bomb and is very similar to Play Dead IPA by YellowDog brewing near Vancouver BC.

It isn't as complicated as it looks:

I mash all grain in a gatorade cooler with a false bottom for 60 min and get 82% eff
-Fly sparge to 7 gallons
-Boil for 60 min adding hops and whirlfloc at the appropriate times
-I mix the 3oz of citra and 3oz of mosaic together for all boil additions
-Ferment in primary for up to 3 weeks and dry hop during the last 7 days
-During the last 3 days do a cold crash

Kegged this 2 days ago

LJ2.jpg

Attachments

• LJ1.jpg
    LJ1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 631
I made this. I got poor efficiency and only got 5.7%. Also the smells reminds me of an armpit. But for some reason I absolutely love this beer!!! Even with my mistakes. I will be making again and doing a better job of getting this right!

I made this. I got poor efficiency and only got 5.7%. Also the smells reminds me of an armpit. But for some reason I absolutely love this beer!!! Even with my mistakes. I will be making again and doing a better job of getting this right!

WOW really An armpit??? LOL I think you went wrong somewhere as this always smells like tropical juice paridise when I brew it! Make sure your hops are fresh (or properly stored) and you dry hop 5-7 days.

For max efficiency make sure you mill all grains well, use an acurate thermometer and ensure your mash temp doesn't drop more then a few degrees.

Here is the water profile I target:
CA-100 MA-10 HC03-80 S04-200 NA-10 CI-30

I’ve gotten that “armpit” smell too from a Citra/Galaxy/Mosaic NEIPA I did a year ago. Not sure which one it was but I’ve heard the growing conditions from year to year can really affect that onion/garlic characteristic when the hops are stressed in the growing season. The good thing is it really wasn’t all that bad and it faded fairly quickly. We called it “Boob-Sweat IPA”. [emoji106]

I loved the taste. The smell was a little weird but also I was able to enjoy it. I am going to be brewing this again tomorrow night so we shall see what happens.

I tend to scale back the IBU's for a lot of my beer now too but not for this one, it is balaced and not as bitter as you might think. IMO scale it back 10 IBU's only

Last edited:
This looks like a nice beer. Have you tried it with any other hop combos? I’m not a big fan of Mosaic these days. Looks like a great recipe though. I like the idea of not adding a buttering charge until 40 min left. I need to try that.

This looks like a nice beer. Have you tried it with any other hop combos? I’m not a big fan of Mosaic these days. Looks like a great recipe though. I like the idea of not adding a buttering charge until 40 min left. I need to try that.

I've got a couple of recipes I brew that don't add any "bittering" hops until 15 minutes. NE IPA and a hoppy red. Both are delicious. If you're curious try it, it feels wrong but the results are nice.

I might give that a try or at the very least scaling my first addition way down. I’d like to try this recipe with a combo Citra, Simcoe and Loral. Hopefully brewing soon.

This is also my go to IPA now. I've made it twice and im working on the third. It punches you in the mouth with so much goodness. I upped the grain bill a few pounds and increased the boil time to create a 7.4 ABV monster as well. Delicious!

This is also my go to IPA now. I've made it twice and im working on the third. It punches you in the mouth with so much goodness. I upped the grain bill a few pounds and increased the boil time to create a 7.4 ABV monster as well. Delicious!
Glad you like it! Do you also up the hops to balance the extra alc% or is it fine as is?

This recipe sound delicious, thanks for posting! Play Dead is definitely a local favourite of mine so I’d like to brew this up. Beer lover, do you think I could sub the Columbus bittering charge with a neutral hop like magnum or would I miss out on some flavour imparted by the Columbus? Just trying to use what I have on hand is all.

This recipe sound delicious, thanks for posting! Play Dead is definitely a local favourite of mine so I’d like to brew this up. Beer lover, do you think I could sub the Columbus bittering charge with a neutral hop like magnum or would I miss out on some flavour imparted by the Columbus? Just trying to use what I have on hand is all.
I would think substituting magnum for columbus should be just fine. All the flavour/aroma comes from the Mosaic and Citra

I haven't used 1318 but if it leaves a finished beer malty I would stay away. S04 should be fine as the beer should finish with a nuetral yeast flavour. My favorite now is WLP090.

You Son-of-a.... Now that picture is just playing dirty!! Here I am minding my own business... wasting time at work on the internet looking at my favorite Beer forums... and you have to go a post a picture like that! I still have two hours of work left!!! Damn that beer looks good!
I think the only thing to do is go brew it.... now!!!

1.056. I cut it back some- I usually stay under 1.060.
Well went to get my yeast ready and found out I don't have any US05. Thought I had a pack left. So it's gonna be Notty or S04.

1.056. I cut it back some- I usually stay under 1.060.
Well went to get my yeast ready and found out I don't have any US05. Thought I had a pack left. So it's gonna be Notty or S04.

I hope by lowering your OG you don't end up with an unbalanced beer. The beauty of the original recipe is that it's balanced, not to hoppy, sweet, malty or alcoholic.

Notty or S04 should be fine

Last edited:
I hope by lowering your OG you don't end up with an unbalanced beer. The beauty of the original recipy is that it's balanced, not to hoppy, sweet, malty or alcoholic.

Notty or S04 should be fine
Went with S04. Will ferment it on the cool side 60-62.
After thinking about your post, I probably should have went with an OG of 1.065-1.069 as your recipe is written. I went back and forth on trying to determining the IBU's I wanted. I try to aim for 65 or so IBU's, which is where I ended up. I think it will be a little on the hoppy side and maybe a little out of balance. Oh well, I'm sure it will be good. Next time I'll make sure to increase my OG.

Went with S04. Will ferment it on the cool side 60-62.
After thinking about your post, I probably should have went with an OG of 1.065-1.069 as your recipe is written. I went back and forth on trying to determining the IBU's I wanted. I try to aim for 65 or so IBU's, which is where I ended up. I think it will be a little on the hoppy side and maybe a little out of balance. Oh well, I'm sure it will be good. Next time I'll make sure to increase my OG.
I am sure it will turn out great. Please post back with results and pics!

Back