lucky or stupid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleanliness is always good. I don't think you can sanitize a dirty fermenter completely. You just left out a step. Remember beer was being made successfully long before microbes were discovered. So clean is probably good enough in most cases. Sanitizing is just cheap insurance.

just found out that the rinse i was using is a cleanser and not a sanitizer.

Have i just been lucky that i haven't had a bad batch?

How many batches have you had so far with the cleanser? I had the same thing happen when I first started brewing. I was given a jar of a powdered "sanitizer" with my brew kit. Only later I found out it was just a cleanser. I never had a bad batch using it though.

It seems as though you are good enough at keeping your equipment clean. I say to RDWHAHB until that stuff is gone. Then upgrade to a proper sanitizer. :mug:

Someone may disagree, and maybe rightfully so. I'm drinkin' a few homebrews right now so everything is goooood to me. :fro:

Star-san is great. I use that almost exclusively.

Keep in mind that some cleansers actually DO sanitize, but haven't gone the extra mile with the legalities of being able to call it a "sanitizer" on the package. An example is One-step. I used it for a very long time, and it's not technically a sanitizer by the FDA but it does sanitize with a little more contact time. So, if you were using a cleanser like One-step, it also sanitizes even though the package isn't allowed to call it a sanitizer.

Easy Clean is what is on the container.

I think it's the same thing as one-step. Like I said, legally they can't be packaged as "sanitizers" but they do sanitize. I actually prefer star-san now, and it is labeled as a sanitizer, too.

From a website selling Easy Clean:
What is the difference between a sanitizer and a cleanser?

In the U.S.A., the word sanitizer is a legal term defined by the Environmental Protection Agency. In order for a product to be called a sanitizer in promotional literature or on its packaging, that product must be approved by the EPA, assigned a registration number, and have an open file maintained with the EPA. Unless a company would like to invest an enormous amount of capitol in this process (or use another company's product through a process called "sub-registration"), they may not call their product a sanitizer.
If you purchase a bottle of bleach from the grocery store, unless it shows an EPA registration number on the front of the label, it is not a sanitizer. However, it will certainly be a good cleanser (although somewhat hazardous, not environmentally sound, and it will require rinsing).
Is Easy Clean (One Step) a sanitizer?
Read the above question and draw your own conclusions. Easy Clean (One Step) has been used with excellent results since 1992.
For best results, Easy Clean (One Step) requires a 30 second contact time.
If you feel you must sanitize equipment and bottles for added protection after cleaning, use your favorite sanitizer or use 2 oz of sodium or potassium metabisulphite and mix with 1 gallon of water. Coat all surfaces and remove excess by draining or let drip dry. There is no need to completely dry sulphite solution before using equipment or filling bottles with wine or beer.

I used PBW for years thinking it was "sanitizer". Never had an issue. Though I did switch and start using star-san.

StarSan is DA BOMB!

It's so easy to use and you can reuse it many times if you mix with distilled water. I like pouring into spray bottle and just spraying on my equipment. Much easier than mixing in a bucket each time.

Iodophor is another no-rinse sanitizer the many people like. I just like StarSan better.

Back