Lowering mash pH (5.2 stabilizer does not work...)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was pretty clear... the product is not for GETTING your PH to 5.2 which is how many people use it... or think it's supposed to be used for. You are not going to dump in a measured amount of this stuff and magically have your PH reach 5.2.

From Five Star's product sheet for 5.2

5.2 is a proprietary blend of food-grade phosphate buffers (similar to brewer’s salts) that will lock in your mash and kettle water at a pH of 5.2 regardless of the starting pH of your water.

From morebeer.com's description of the product.

Never worry about pH again! One tablespoon of 5.2 per 5 gallon batch and your water is instantly adjusted to the perfect pH of 5.2, no matter what your starting pH was.

No really, 5.2 stabilizer is the best. Don't knock it til you try it.
I mash at 168F with tap water and add 5.2 stabilizer and boom! 5.2 pH immediately, but I don't measure it since I don't have a pH meter. It really helps balance out my 50% crystal malt.
Boil with 1 cup of Hops.
Then I chill over the next 3 days (it's really hot here, 90F ambient) and then rehydrate some 71B in StarSan (to sanitize) and pitch directly into the kettle. My LHBS recommended it.
It ferments after stirring it daily for a week. It definitely stops bubbling by then, no hydrometer. Pour into keg, chill, and enjoy. My girlfriend loves it.

hahahaha! Such baloney, Charlie should really pull that product off the market and spare the hit to his credibility...

Cheers!

Between 5.2 being junk and them not testing the efficacy of StarSan on killing wild yeast and mold, I'm beginning to wonder about that company...

Back