Lowering FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyc88

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just did a Coconut Porter and an Imperial Oatmeal Stout.

The Coconut Porter was 1.054 and is currently 1.021, but there seem to be no more signs of activity.

The Imperial Oatmeal was 1.104 and is at ~1.031, but there seem to be no more signs of activity.

I would like to get those both just a bit lower if possible, do you think it is possible or do you think they're done? Both were using WLP 007 using starters.

Also, i've thought about adding some sugar to the Coconut Porter to bring the gravity up a bit, I would like the ABV to be around 6% rather than 4.8-5%. Any tips on the best way to do this at this point in the fermentation?

I wouldn't add sugar to it. Either leave it be for another week or bump the temp to 70-72 and rouse the yeast.

I wouldn't add sugar to it. Either leave it be for another week or bump the temp to 70-72 and rouse the yeast.

Even if it lowers a bit more it won't quite be where I want it, my efficiency was a bit lower than I originally wanted because I came out with about .8 extra gallons from what I expected.

Even if it lowers a bit more it won't quite be where I want it, my efficiency was a bit lower than I originally wanted because I came out with about .8 extra gallons from what I expected.

Since this is AG, what were your mash temps like?

Since this is AG, what were your mash temps like?

Some of my first all-grain batches. The temperature didn't seem to drop as much from my strike temperature when I added the grains as I wanted.

Strike of 165 and went down to like 160, I turned off the flame for a few and let it get to ~155 and did my best to maintain that. It was BIAB.

Some of my first all-grain batches. The temperature didn't seem to drop as much from my strike temperature when I added the grains as I wanted.

Strike of 165 and went down to like 160, I turned off the flame for a few and let it get to ~155 and did my best to maintain that. It was BIAB.

It seems like you may have two things going on the would cause both of these beer to have a higher FG than you may be looking for. 1) Higher mash temp produces more unfermentable sugars. 2) Both of these recipes include a good amount of roasted and crystal grains that hardly ferment at all.

It seems like you may have two things going on the would cause both of these beer to have a higher FG than you may be looking for. 1) Higher mash temp produces more unfermentable sugars. 2) Both of these recipes include a good amount of roasted and crystal grains that hardly ferment at all.

Yes, but I use the calculator they should both be lower. Stout estimated fg of 1026 and the porter of 1017

I think the stout can get a bit lower, I roused the yeast and pitched a bit more doesn't seem to have done anything. Would adding a few oz of extra sucrose to get the yeast started and going again maybe help them eat a bit of what's extra and left that they're not interested in atm?

Back