Lower efficiency w/ wheat beers ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpolzin25

Reaction score
So I am fairly new to brewing (just started a year ago) and even newer to all grain brewing (only 4 all grain brews). I am a big lover of wheat beers so I have mostly been brewing wheat beers (3 of my 4 all grain were wheats). I thought I had been getting about 68-70% efficiency with my brews as I had been hitting that with every brew up until my latest brew which was a dunkelweizen. When I went to take my gravity reading I was significantly lower than I expected (1.042 vs 1.052). I was only off on my water level by maybe a quart so it wasn't a dilution issue. Considering I was much lower than I wanted to be I added a 1 lb of honey to bring up the sp gravity (brought it up to 1.048) so I was at least happier w/ the final gravity. Then it hit me, I remembered reading in these forums that wheat beers can have lower efficiency. All my wheat beers to this point I had actually used honey which I am assuming inflated my perceived efficiency. The only non-wheat beer I did was the Oktoberfast recipe here on the forums and I hit 70% efficiency right on the nose which of course had no wheat malt in it. So it appears that my efficiency (based on this last brew) is that I am at about 58-60% efficiency w/ wheat beers)

So please correct me if I am having illogical thinking but I am guessing that I am getting about 50% efficiency out of wheat malts and 70% efficiency out of nonwheat malts. Assuming this that would get me my 58-60% efficiency on wheat beers since roughly half my grain bill is wheat.

With the difference in designing my recipes for wheat beers how do I go about designing them? The grain bill on my last recipe was as follows:
6 lbs wheat malt (56.5%)
2 lbs 2 row (18.8%)
1.5 lbs munich (14.1%)
12 oz honey malt (7.1%)
6 oz midnight wheat (3.5%)

So when designing the recipe would I be best off designing the recipe with with the different efficiencies in mind? So when I design my wheat beers, should I design it using the 70% efficiency and then once I have the ingredients where I want them, drop the efficiency in the calculator to 60%, and then add only to the wheat amount to get the sp gr up to where I was at with the 70% calculation? To me this would make sense because because even though I am increasing the wheat my efficiency is worse on the wheat so I would still be getting a similar % of wheat instead of increasing all the ingredients. So although I might be increasing the wheat by 1.5 lbs it would still be the same final % of wheat sugars in the final product. I really apologize if this is a confusing question but I don't know how else to word it. Thanks

Leave the recipe as it is, change how the wheat malt is milled. Wheat is a smaller, harder kernel than barley so you need to set the mill differently to account for that. Tighten up the gap of a roller mill or tighten the plates on a Corona mill and your efficiency will go back up.

Leave the recipe as it is, change how the wheat malt is milled. Wheat is a smaller, harder kernel than barley so you need to set the mill differently to account for that. Tighten up the gap of a roller mill or tighten the plates on a Corona mill and your efficiency will go back up.

Currently I don't have a mill. I have my homebrew shop mill my grains. Should I have him double mill the wheat?

I have read that adding rice hulls to the mash with high wheat content will help with efficiency. My LHBS doesn't charge much at all for rice hulls.

Rice hulls aren't going to do anything to aid conversion of poorly crushed wheat. All they'll do is aid lautering.

Rice hulls aren't going to do anything to aid conversion of poorly crushed wheat. All they'll do is aid lautering.

Does it help when the wheat is properly crushed? I thought it helped to spread apart the mash that would otherwise be too compact, aiding in conversion. At least that's what my LHBS told me.

The need for rice hulls really depends on the grist being mashed and the equipment it's in. It's really conversion neutral, more of an aid to draining the mash.

I add 1/2 lb of rice hulls to my wheat beers to help prevent stuck mash. I am using a 5 gallon circular cooler w/ metal braid. I have been wanting to go to using one of them BIAB bags to go into the cooler to see if that helps with efficiency and do a tighter crush.

That should help some. If you do lots of wheat beers you might be better off buying one of these mills just for the wheat. You can set them pretty fine. http://www.discounttommy.com/p-189-...er-for-wheat-grains-or-use-as-a-nut-mill.aspx

My last brew was done with a Corona mill (same price on amazon, free prime shipping), and my efficiency jumped 10 points. Haven't done a wheat yet, but i expect the same thing.

Set it like this: crush until you're scared it will stick in the mash. You don't want to see any uncrushed grains. (thanks to the HBT commenters for this strategy)

The need for rice hulls really depends on the grist being mashed and the equipment it's in. It's really conversion neutral, more of an aid to draining the mash.

Look closely at the kernels of barley. Notice that there is a hull on them. This helps make a filter for draining your mash tun. Now look at the wheat kernels. They are naked, no hull at all. The rice hulls are just a really cheap way to replace the missing hulls on the wheat so it doesn't gum up the manifold or braid when you drain the tun.

Back