Low yeast character in dark belgians

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GurraG

Reaction score
When I brew pale belgian beers I always get a nice yeast character. I usually use wlp500 and pitch the yeast at around 65 Fahrenheit and ramp the temp up to the mid 70's or so over the course of a week.
However, when making dark belgians using the same yeast and fermentation schedule I seem to get much less yeast character. I suppose it is masked by the flavor of the candi syrup/dark grains. Of course an obvoius way to increase the yeast character would be to ferment warmer, but then I'm afraid of getting fusels etc. Any thoughts on this?

Masking certainly plays a big role with such big beers. As for gettng fusels just pitch cold (like 17-18°C) and then let free rise like the Belgian breweries traditionally do and you won't get a significant increase in fusels. But I wouldn't do that with 500 though as you risk getting a ton of bubble-gum flavor which might make your beer taste like cough syrup, I would use 530 instead which is my favorite BTW (currently have a dubbel with 530 conditioning).

Masking certainly plays a big role with such big beers. As for gettng fusels just pitch cold (like 17-18°C) and then let free rise like the Belgian breweries traditionally do and you won't get a significant increase in fusels. But I wouldn't do that with 500 though as you risk getting a ton of bubble-gum flavor which might make your beer taste like cough syrup, I would use 530 instead which is my favorite BTW (currently have a dubbel with 530 conditioning).
What causes the bubblegum? Pitching cold or letting it free rise?

I used WLP500 in a triple and it pretty much had the exact yeast character as Chimay White, but I would have liked a lot more of the cherry and plum I tasted early in fermentation, and a bubblegum note would also be good in my opinion.
I need to try again....

What causes the bubblegum? Pitching cold or letting it free rise?
I suppose it's the pitching cold as it suppresses fusel alcohols but increases ester character, but I didn't experiment with it as the resulting beer was one of the few true dumpers I've ever had...

Back