Low Profile Banjo Burner - lower PSI hose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremyx

Reaction score
I have a Low Profile Banjo Burner that I bought from Northern Brewer last year.

I recently switched my setup from a 7 gal SS pot to a keggle. The first two batches using the keggle I ended up going through a ton or propane (almost the whole tank!) and as the boil went on, it was like the flame would not increase anymore.

Early in the boil, I turned the valve up too much and it shut off the gas automatically. There must be a built in shut-off. Later in the boil, (45 mins in or so), I saw the boil was not the rolling boil I like to have so went to turn up the gas and the flame reacted very little. In fact, I could open it all the way and it made little difference -- not at ALL like the roaring jet it was when I started.

Is my hose busted? Do I need a new regulator? Can I step it down to preserve propane?

Thanks!

Whats the process you use to turn everything on? Propane tanks have safety valves. You could just be opening everything in the wrong order and being limited. I've had this happen.

I move my tank into position then let is settle while setting up my burner and pot and filling my pot with water. Then open the tank valve all teh way with the regulator closed all the way, Light lighter over burner, then start opening regulator till it lights and adjust flame as needed.

Exactly what I do.

Been looking through some other threads on this burner. Maybe the regulator is shot?

It is getting cold here in NH and the tank gets cold into the burn....

Anyone know if I can swap out a lower PSI regulator for this?

Back