low oxygen techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockseals

Reaction score
Full volume mash - if I can I'll fill the mash tun all the way to the top to reduce any headspace and my sparge arm is not spraying in the air

The last 10 batches I've been purging the headspace in my fermenter right at pitch. I pitch a healthy amount of yeast and only allow them to gobble the 02 that's in the wort, primarily for keeping the Esters in check during the first couple days but it's good for low oxygen neipa removing headspace oxygen so not to sit on the wort for the first day

For transferring from the fermenter I have gas Outlets all my fermenters I'll take the CO2 in engage it the lowest possible setting using the mouth trick click on an open gas fitting and put it in your mouth turn on the gas from zero until the output fills your mouth in like 1 or 2 seconds 3 seconds which is somewhere around a pound or two of gas I'll have a bubbler or a blow off tube installed. I Purge the fitting line from my fermenter out.
I'll take two kegs one fully purged liquid or manual and one not with several cups of starsan it or boiled water in the second keg keg. The Purge keg liquid is hooked to the out of the fermenter with that portion purged. the gas on the purged keg hooks to the liquid on the second keg which makes like a bubbler so you're capturing blow off from the first keg into the second keg as it fills
If you're doing that 10 gallon batch this works well because the Overflow from egg one gas goes into liquid on keg two if you walk away. The process takes some time you just need to inspect your lines and make sure there's no bubbles coming through
The blow off tube or bubbler is just there for backup so you don't blow the bung from too much pressure

Every time I open up the fermenter during fermentation usually twice I'm flushing the headspace with c02
Make sure you put 30 lb of pressure on The Keg before you chill down

Latest posts

Back