Low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearlbeer

Reaction score
I'm doing partial mash, and consistently hitting OGs lower than predicted. For example, I just did a Hefe and hit 1.041 OG when 1.050 was predicted. The only thing I can guess is maybe I need to measure my water add a little closer? Maybe my 5 1/4 gal line on the bucket is not where I think it is.

That being said the last few batches have had lower FGs than predicted, so although my OG and FG seem to be off a bit my Alcohol content is close to predicted, and my beer tastes decent.

I'm using a reverse flow chiller, so I know the wort is plenty cool, and following all other instructions to a 'T'.

Any suggestions?

BTW - I mashed about 3lbs at 145-155 for an hour sparged at 170.

Added 1lb or so of extract at full boil. Added 4lbs after boil and pasteurized at 190ish for 10mins.

What temp are you measuring the gravity at? Have you checked to see that your hydrometer is calibrated? Check it in 60f water (assuming that is its calibration temp) thats the only thing I can think of causing the low numbers, I would assume the extact is ok, I only did a few pm batches before switching to ag, but I nailed the og every time doing pm, good luck.

Back