Low OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcwi69

Reaction score
Ok so I after reading up on this subject (home brewing) I decided to give it a try. Went down to the cities home brew shop and purchased the brewing equipment along with a beer kit. I followed the instructions as perfect as I could. The only problem I ran into is that it seemed my OG was low, 1.023 @ 71 degrees. Everything I’ve read stated the starting OG should be around 1.030-1.040. It’s been four days since I started the batch and everything seems to be fine. For some reason though that low OG has been brewing in the back of my mind...pun intended. Should I be concerned?

Either you missed something in the instructions, or you did not measure OG correctly. It's possible that if you didn't stir the wort before taking a sample, you tested a watered down portion of it. That happens.

If this was an extract kit, more than likely you didn't get your top off water mixed well enough with the wort. This happens a lot with partial boils. No need to worry. The yeast will find the sugar.

Latest posts

Back