Low Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookmysock

Reaction score
I normally do all grain, but for time reasons did a lazy brew 3 weeks ago with a Coopers Real Ale mix from the local supermarket. Steeped some crystal to add to the wort. Use a recycled Scottish Ale yeast (Wyeast 1728). OG was 1.041. Fermentation went off with a bang and even needed my first blow off tube...

Bottled today with a FG of 1.002 - lowest I have ever seen. I am accustomed to 1.008-1.010.

What will be the effect on the beer?

Did you taste the wort beer? At that low of a FG, I'd be concerned there is some kind of infection or your hydrometer is off.

If you used honey or simple sugars, that could be the cause. Sugars are more fermentable than malt sugars, as honey and/or sugar in water will ferment often to .990.

If you didn't use any simple sugar, then I don't know. I have had one beer stop at 1.007, by mashing very low for a more fermentable wort, and it was clean and crisp tasting.

Thanks for the replies. The wort sample tasted okay so I am not worried about an infection. Hydrometer is okay as well as I have tested it is water and also at different temps and check with temp correction calculations.

I used a Coopers brew booster sugar

Back