Low Carb Enzyme / Beano

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfandbrew

Reaction score
I recently came across a product called low carb enzyme that is added during fermentation. Don't know exactly what it is but I am assuming it works much like adding Beano in that it will break down sugars the yeast will not contributing to higher attenuation. I am also assuming if not denatured with heat the enzymes will continue attenuating (possibly more than you intended)...now finally for the questions.

If the low carb enzyme or Beano are added during fermentation does cold crashing stop them from attenuating further? If the beer is cold crashed but then stored warm could the enzyme "wake up" and continue attenuating in the bottle causing gushers and or bottle bombs.

Cheers

If the low carb enzyme or Beano are added during fermentation does cold crashing stop them from attenuating further?

Generally yes, but it is a bit yeast dependent. Most yeast will keep working at a very slow rate when cold crashed, unless repeatedly racked off the yeast cake. Lager yeast will still chew through sugars at near freezing temperatures. So it depends on the yeast strain, how many times you've racked off yeast and how fast you plan on drinking the beer.

If the beer is cold crashed but then stored warm could the enzyme "wake up" and continue attenuating in the bottle causing gushers and or bottle bombs.

Cheers

The enzyme is always there. The yeast will wake up at warm temperatures and continue to eat the sugars.

I should have asked the more important question....what are you trying to achieve?

Thanks for the reply. For the purpose of simplicity I am assuming the yeast have attenuated out before adding the enzyme (ale or lager), which is why the enzyme is being added. I guess I am also assuming the enzyme is working independently of the yeast, which probably isn't a very good assumption now that you mention it. Just kind of curious how the enzyme works and what the risks are.

The enzyme is something which is present naturally in the grain. It is simply a chemical that allows starch to be converted to sugar. Like us and yeast, plants can't directly use starch - they use sugar for energy. Yeast will eat whatever sugar is there that they are able to digest. Some yeast strains can eat sugars that other yeast strains can't, hence a difference in attenuation (also, some are a bit more lazy than others and stop while there are still fermentable sugars remaining). Enzymes in the plant (grain) are there to convert the starch (stored energy) to sugar (usable energy). Our bodies also have ways to convert fat (stored energy) to sugar (usable energy). If you add enzymes after pitching yeast, any leftover starch or unfermentable sugars will continue to be cut into smaller chains (fermentable sugars). ALL REPORTS that I've read of brewers adding enzyme to beer after pitching yeast have been BAD. Again I'll ask, what are you trying to achieve? If you want a really dry lager, like the typical sh!thouse Aussie lager, there are other ways!

Well personally I don't use the stuff. I saw it at a brew on premise place that is how they told me it was used which then peaked my curiosity.

You could use it in a long, low temp mash before boiling. Most Brew Shops sell it for distillers - it increases alcohol yield from grain mashes (i.e. whisky).

Thanks again. I am just trying to understand why the BOP shop would be using the enzyme in this manner. To me it didn't make sense. Thank you for confirming my suspicions. Much appreciated.

Resurrecting an old thread for info on using Beano enzymes.

I've primarily been making wine, mead, & mead. I have knowledge on common procedure with beer, but haven't used most since I've only brewed a couple extract batches.

My intended or hypothetical purpose for wanting to know about using Beano is converting the starches from Quaker Oats I plan to add to my next extract beer.
I may be just throwing things together and wing'n a recipe, but I try and use what I have with what equipment I have at the moment.
I'd planned on doing a 45min-60min "mash" of the oats before adding to the boil for denaturing.

If done correctly, here's my planned recipe from Brewer's Friend minus the Quaker Oats:

iframe width="100%" height="500px" src="Jack 'O Lutra - Beer Recipe - Brewer's Friend" frameborder="0"></iframe>

^
First, be sure to use the "quick oats" variety (not "steel cut") because thay have already been gelatinized, exposing the starches.

I can't really advise on the use of Beano, but I can say that the time tested "best practice" way to do this would be to forget Beano and do a standard mini-mash. You could mash a pound of oats with as little as a half pound of 2-row.

Replying to an older post...
First, be sure to use the "quick oats" variety
Old Fashioned oats, rolled oats, and flaked oats are similar to quick oats, and work just as well.
Instant oats have been processed the most, and will therefore gelatinize faster. But an hour mash will take care of any of those.

The main reason not to use steel cut oats, or groats, in the mash is that they've not been pregelatinized, and need to be boiled or cereal mashed ahead of the main mash to get full conversion.

Back