Low Brewhouse Efficiency... How to boost ABV%?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hi,

I brewed red rye lager/kolsch beers recently, and unfortunately my brewhouse efficiency was lower than expected on that day. I ended up with a 1.030 OG, with an estimated ABV% of 2.8%.

I want to add sugar. What is the optimal type? Both fermentations have just begun today after a ~36 hour lag period. What is the optimal time to add the sugar, and what is the acceptable range in quantity of sugar to add?

What is the best method to add it? Dissolve in boiling water at as high of a concentration as possible? Maybe I should just pitch it raw to not dilute the beer, or would the risk of contamination be too high?

Thanks,

Delaney:mug:

Best would have been to add some light DME before or during the boil. This is why it's good to get your volumes and preboil gravity readings down so you can adjust to poor efficiency before the boil. I'd go with DME asap. Dissolve in some boiling water but not excessively boil.

Well Dme or plain sugar will help produce the alcohol I would be more concerned about why the low conversion rate. The DME is better for making a stronger beer at least till you get past 5% beer.

I have a low efficiency because I am using a BIAB system, and I did a bad job of sparging on this batch...

I read that if adding simple sugar, the best time to add it is after the yeast has fermented the wort-derived sugars. Otherwise, supposedly they will attack the simple sugars first, leaving the hard-to-metabolize maltose until the end.

I have 10 gallons, and I'm thinking of raising the ABV to 4.5%. Does ~35% of the sugar being from sucrose sound unreasonable?

I have a low efficiency because I am using a BIAB system, and I did a bad job of sparging on this batch...

I read that if adding simple sugar, the best time to add it is after the yeast has fermented the wort-derived sugars. Otherwise, supposedly they will attack the simple sugars first, leaving the hard-to-metabolize maltose until the end.

I have 10 gallons, and I'm thinking of raising the ABV to 4.5%. Does ~35% of the sugar being from sucrose sound unreasonable?

I wouldnt go over like 20% simple sugars or the beer will be very thin and "hot". Maybe add 1-2lbs of DME near flameout to help get a higher OG?

That's going to be a lot of additional needed fermentable. I agree with sketchy above. Quickly boil some DME, then cool it to fermentation temp and pitch it. Sugar is ok to raise a half point of so max.

-BD

BIAB isn't the cause of the low efficiency. I BIAB and hit 70-75% regularly on 5 gallon batches.

I would find some Candy Syrup from the brew shop and add that.

BIAB isn't the cause of the low efficiency. I BIAB and hit 70-75% regularly on 5 gallon batches.

I would find some Candy Syrup from the brew shop and add that.

True... Basically the reason my BIAB resulted in low efficiency is that while my bag was draining after mashing out, I tried pouring 170F water from a separate kettles into the bag to sparge. I think I miss the bag opening to a large extent, essentially diluting me beer instead of sparging.

Back