Low Attenuaion on Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRoth36

Reaction score
So I recently brewed an oatmeal stout and used WYeast 1968. My OG was 1.064. After 3 weeks I checked the FG and it was 1.022. This made the beer more sweet, which isn't a problem to me since I like sweet beers. I was wondering if it is possible to bottle it at this FG or would I risk bottle exploding? I would rather bottle then pitch more yeast if I can get away with it. I should probably also mention that it was an all grain batch and I mashed at 160. I know that this would result in more unfermentables which would have contributed to the lower attenuation

another contributing factor might have been the crystal malts in the recipe. most stouts have a lot of chocolate, dark crystal, black patent, etc... those all leave behind a lot of unfermentable sugars.

So if I'm to bottle still add priming sugar like I usually would?
yes. if you're certain that fermentation is over, then there are no sugars left for the to yeast to eat. you need to add sugar if you want the yeasties to carb the beer.

Fermentation should be complete. I made a starter like usual before I pitched the yeast. Fermentation took of like crazy and I kept the temp at the recommended temp for yeast strain. Also after three and had weeks I've got two speedster FG readings that are the same. Thanks for your guys help. Appreciate it.

Back