Low abv always = watered down flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshesmusica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't personally ventured into the lower abv stuff yet, but in this country the alcohol regulations are almost as bad as Oklahoma. The craft beer stuff sold in the grocery stores (4.7% abv) that I've tried have some ok stuff but in general it just tastes like they found a pretty good IPA recipe or something and watered it down. So is there any good way to make session type of stuff without letting it start to taste watered down?

Using Cara-pils/dextrin malt as part of your grain bill will contribute to more body and it will work as a steeping grain too. It crops up a lot in light ale recipes that I've brewed. And a less attenuative yeast could be another approach.

I add flaked oats (Quaker instant brand) to most of my brews to increase mouthfeel. They add very little flavor, if any, but can be toasted in an oven to add nice toasty notes to stouts and porters. I might add them as 2.5% of my grain bill. I steep them for about 20 min at the beginning of my boil using a hop sack. No need to mash instant oats.

All depends on what you're going for. More hops, more yeast character, higher percentages of specialty grains, all can contribute flavor to beef up the character. Of course, all three may not be appropriate for every beer. And then grains that build body like carapils (as mentioned above), or other crystal malts, but also wheat, oats, or flaked barley, are helpful too to provide mouthfeel and fill out the body. For low body/dry session beers (say, Belgian session beers) you want to mash sort of middle of the road and use adjuncts to fill out the body and keep it from being watery without providing sweetness. For fuller session beers (say, Scottish Ales) you want to mash them fairly high (my 60/- is mashed at 158).

Also you do need to mash instant oats. You just don't need to do a CEREAL mash. They still have unconverted starches that will remain in the finished beer if you don't mash them.

Ok so these that are tasting watered down are a problem from the brewery, not necessarily the low abv?

Very accurate summary. I do a lot of 3.6-4.4% beers and I use a number of methods to have EXCELLENT mouthfeel and body.

For darker beers I mash high at about 155 f and use one of many body malts but mostly Mild malt (up to 40% for a creamy stout).

For lighter beers, I use a large percentage of Munich plus a but to 5% dextrine or carapils. Even for extra, you can us dextrine powder.

For IPA type beers, some crystal 10, carapils, high'ish mash temp (153 f) are important but making the hops FLAVOR complex (more so than bitterness) has amazing results. This can be multiple additions a varying periods or and exciting mix of hops than finally an excellent aroma hop for dry-hopping.

Latest posts

Back